I find it quite incredible that ebay can get away with discrimination based on race or country.

After recieving the promotional email from e-bay giving me an opportunity to share in their 15th birthday celebrations by listing up to 150 items free, when I tried to register I was informed that because I am currently in New Zealand I cannot list on the Australian e-bay website.

"This would have to be discrimination of the worst order".

I am an Australian resident and citizen, but just because I am currently in New Zealand I am not allowed to list items for sale.

I frequently purchase from e-bay sites around the world, so why can't I list my items for sale??

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I find it quite incredible that ebay can get away with discrimination based on race or country.

@raymc1943 wrote:

"This would have to be discrimination of the worst order".

I am an Australian resident and citizen, but just because I am currently in New Zealand I am not allowed to list items for sale.

I frequently purchase from e-bay sites around the world, so why can't I list my items for sale??

Perhaps it has something to do with postage.

By listing items as from Australia - how do you organise local postage from NZ.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

NZ's own auction site TradeMe doesn't allow sellers from outside New Zealand unless they can provide a NZ bank account for buyers to pay into.  (At least that's how it worked last time I enquired about selling there a few years back, and they did't allow Paypal either at the time).  I had an ANZ account and thought that would suffice, but was told the Australian  ANZ bank is totally separate and it was not acceptable.

Quicksales doesn't allow sellers outside of Australia and NZ either. 

It is any business' prerogative to decide who can and can't use their service, just as we have the prerogative as sellers to decide who can and can't buy from us.

If you're an Australian living in NZ TradeMe is probably your best option. 

Just a thought, there is no EBAY NZ, the NZ government refused them an operating license in favour of the home grown alternative, so perhaps Ebay's reluctance to accept NZ sellers is a bit of payback?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Are you on holiday in NZ? Which country is your normal residence, your usual postal address? Aust or NZ

If Aust, will you be back in time to post the items? Do you have the items with you, to photograph etc?

NZ doesn't have eBay, so perhaps that's the reason. Otherwise you could list it through that if they had one.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Trademe accepts NZ & Aust (who must have a NZ bank a/c) sellers, in their terms & conditions.

Although I am sure, recently I have seen items for sale on there from Canada.

There was an eBay NZ, but it failed to take off, Kiwis preferring their own auction site (Trademe).

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

eBay's New Zealand site attempted to enter the online trading market in 2001. Problems such as cultural differences (e.g. launching in US dollars), and New Zealand's isolation resulted in the site having little penetration into the TradeMe dominated market.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

How bizarre, there are a number of British sellers selling Australian postcards on the Australian Ebay site. While all of the New Zealand sellers currently selling Australian postcards, are indeed selling on the US site. I had not been aware that New Zealanders were blocked from selling on Ebay Australia, which I find a really dumb business practise. Regards, Kevin
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

NZ's own auction site TradeMe doesn't allow sellers from outside New Zealand unless they can provide a NZ bank account for buyers to pay into.  (At least that's how it worked last time I enquired about selling there a few years back, and they did't allow Paypal either at the time).  I had an ANZ account and thought that would suffice, but was told the Australian  ANZ bank is totally separate and it was not acceptable.

Thats not the case currently, I sell on TradeMe without a NZ bank account.  I offer paypal as the payment option.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I don't think NZ'ers are blocked from selling on eBay au.

This has got to do with where the account is registered, and under what address (an Australian one?) and that the seller is not in the country the account is registered in perhaps?

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Bit off topic, but answers some questions above:

International sellers are now on T M

TM has opened up its borders and now has a few internationally based sellers trading on the site. This is a big change from the tradition of having only Kiwi and Australian based sellers. Itโ€™s part of our previously announced goal of providing New Zealanders with local access to an increased range of products from global brands on TM. Only international sellers who meet our requirements for selling from overseas are allowed to do so. You can tell who is a legitimate international seller is by checking the shipping details that are found at the bottom of every listing

trust & safety

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply