I got charged by ebay for an item haven't got payed for and can't get any explanation

norbjul-0
Community Member

Please can anyone explain to me why ebay would charge for an item the seller never got paid ? I have been told had sold it but never heard from the buyer , not only not got paid , haven't even been asked for the pick up address , however a fee was deducted from my account by ebay but what it makes more frustrating is not to be able to get an explanation . I find hard to believe this is common practice and ebay still doing business 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I got charged by ebay for an item haven't got payed for and can't get any explanation

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you bother to file a non paying bidder dispute?

Obviously not or you would have had your fees refunded and the buyer would have been given a strike.

Learn how ebay works before badmouthing them.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Is it the drill press ? If so that only ended today.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

13th February Padi.Smiley Tongue  Ooops!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

original.gif

Blame it on the CERISE handbag................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

eBay consider it sold and the seller is charged fees as soon as an item sells

If a 'buyer' does not pay, eBay has no idea if the seller did not open an unapid item dispute

Had you have followed the correct process, you would not have been charged

The 'buyer' has now gotten away scot free to do it to another seller

Buyers not paying is common

and stays common partlty due to sellers not reporting them when it happens 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

You are imagining you are only charged a fee once you are paid for an item.

It doesn't work that way.

As others have said, you are charged fees immediately an item is 'sold' on ebay.

Ebay doesn't necessarily know if you are paid or not, especially if you have listed something as pick up only. You may have received cash, for all they know.

But any time you sell something and are not paid for it, you need to open an official unpaid item dispute against that buyer. A buyer is given 4 days after a sale in which to pay but after that time, you can open a dispute. Once the dispute is open, the buyer is given another 4 days to respond (pay) but if they don't, you can finalise it so you get your fees back.

If I were you, I'd see if you can open a dispute, do it now. I'm not sure if you still have time but give it a go.

There are quite a few casual sellers who don't necessarily know how to do this or who can't be bothered and just let it go and yes, in those cases, ebay gets extra fees for nothing, but the processes are in place to get a refund, it is up to the seller to apply.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply