I've asked for clarification on a return but received nothing

I have an item a buyer wants to return and have asked them to post images of the problem a couple of times but have received no response. 

The item was in perfect working order when it was dispatched. They have also said because it was sent standard not express mail (my mistake) they wanted to return it. 

Any idea of how I can resolve?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Has the buyer already opened a formal return case?

If so, then

a). you can just fully refund via the case and the buyer keeps the item. No defect recorded.

b). accept the return and agree to pay return postage costs if economically viable for you to do so. Then fully refund when you get the item back. Item must be returned with full tracking. No defect recorded.

c). refuse the return claim... but if you do this then ebay are most likely to refund the buyer forcibly and you will be awarded a defect.

If the buyer says the item is not working or damaged then ebay will simply accept this without the need for any proof.

If they have not opened a formal case yet then negotiate what they want and go with that.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Good thing you got clarry for a clarification. giggle.gif

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@theuniquestop wrote:

I have an item a buyer wants to return and have asked them to post images of the problem a couple of times but have received no response. 

The item was in perfect working order when it was dispatched. They have also said because it was sent standard not express mail (my mistake) they wanted to return it. 

Any idea of how I can resolve?

Someone said:

If they have not opened a formal case yet then negotiate what they want and go with that.

---------

That's what i would do if I were you.

Personally, I can't see what standard versus express postage has got to do with it. Unless of course they were buying for a special event & the item didn't arrive in time-in which case they don't want it and are making things up in order to get their money back.

Now, if you sent it regular mail & they paid for express, and you suspect it didn't get there in time for some occaison, then basically you need to ask if they wish to return it for a full refund, with you paying for the return as well. My worry is they could possibly have damaged it in order to win their case with ebay, but as they haven't sent any photos, probably not.

The other option is to say you're sorry to hear there is some damage, what would they like to happen? Would they like to return it for full refund or would they like to keep it with you refunding some of the cost as compensation?

I know it hurts. We've had this done to us where you know the person is just angling for some money back, but in the long run sometimes a partial refund is just easier & cheaper. If that's what they want.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply