IOSS

Recently sold an item to a buyer in Denmark. I was unaware of the IOSS requirements so did not put the number on customs notice etc.

I assumed that as eBay collect the vat etc that they would advise number to the authorities etc.

Buyer contacted me saying that as no number was noted on the parcel he is being asked to pay the vat again and that the Danish postal service won’t accept the number now that the parcel has arrived.

I have sent items to Europe without IOSS umbers since July and have not had this trouble.

Does anyone had this experience before if I refund the buyer the vat will eBay refund the amount to me?

thanks

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

IOSS

@big43rdkid wrote:

if I refund the buyer the vat will eBay refund the amount to me?

thanks

No - from what I can tell (via other eBay threads where this has happened), the buyer actually needs to pay the second VAT charge, then provide proof to eBay, who will refund the VAT to the buyer directly. (https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/VAT-charged-twice/td-p/32190832 - this thread is from the buyer's perspective).

You could try sending them a PDF of an invoice generated via eBay, which shows that VAT has already been paid, not sure if that will work or not, but an invoice with the package is likely to have helped with the IOSS number not being stated, so it may be worth a shot.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

IOSS

Would the VAT be noted on the packing slip? Just wondering if the buyer can get them to open it to see the paperwork.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply