If the bid is too low at end of auction .Do I still have to sell at that price or can i refuse bid ?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If the bid is too low at end of auction .Do I still have to sell at that price or can i refuse bid ?

Yes, you should honour the sale as it is your fault if you did not put the starting price as the lowest price you are willing to accept. After saying that, no-one can force you to send the item but you will get bad feedback if you don't.

Latest reply

the final price is that ... final.. when the auction finishes the buyer is the one with the highest bid.

you cannot 'negotiate' a price once the auction has ended.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

The starting price of an auction should always be the lowest price you will accept.

Buyers get very upset if they bid, win and then seller won't send the item or cancel the transaction.

From 20 August - sellers who renege on a sale because they no longer want to send an item (for any reason) will get a defect from eBay, which depending on the number of defects received, will affect  the sellers performance standards negatively.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Are you talking about an auction that is still current?

If you are worried that you are not going to get a better bid then you can cancel the auction as long as the finishing time is not within the next 12 hours.  If it is within 12 hours then you can cancel the bid but not end the listing so you will be no better off.  If another bidder comes along they will have the same bid.

If there are more than 12 hours to go you can cancel the auction and any bids will be cancelled.  It is not a popular move, especially if you want to try auctioning it again.  

Popular opinion is to leave it to run and accept that bid as you decided on the opening price.

If you really want to cancel the auction then here is ebay's information.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/end_early.html

Joono
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

You have now listed the switchblade for a 3rd time with an auction start price of $600 and a buy now price of $800 which disappears as soon as someone bids.If you want $800,there is no point in even using the auction option however you could be waiting forever to get the $800 you want.JMO

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

You can end the item with bids, within 12 hours of auction end, but it attracts a fee to do it. I had to do it a few months back because I accidentally walked on the item and crushed it. When I went into the end item thing, it said there was a fee for ending with bids, but I never went in to look to see how much it was.

Moral of the story, don't sort items out on the floor!!

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

qball28
Community Member
I've got a price I wasn't happy with a few times, but still sent the item. I want to make a profit next time. I see what happens first.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I think the 12hours is too long, it should be halved to 6hours.
Why should sellers be ripped off by sniper bidding at the last second?
Also eBay recommends listing prices that are generally too low. The seller has the right to not be ripped off especially when eBay and PayPal take a fair cut of the sale also,
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

This thread is SIX YEARS old.

You have added nothing to it.

Snipes at the end will almost always nett a better price than ending an auction 6 hours out. Do the maths.

You seem to be an experienced member - why would you think that eBay recommendations apply to anybody but mugs? If you don't like the prices you get at auction, you are possibly overvaluing your items. If you know what your items are worth, use BIN.

Even 6 years ago, auctions didn't attract many bidding frenzies; why would they now?

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply