Is this a conspiracy?

jvdv11
Community Member

I don't have many listings but in one day a get 3 requests to cancel sales with the reasons:

1. I am no more interested to buy the item. I found a cheaper deal.
2. Apologies one of my children have accidently placed a bid on your item. Can we please retract.
3. On a local pickup item which can't be posted a message from a buyer in Perth asking me to post.

What is it with some people.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Is this a conspiracy?

Sorry to hear of your bad luck at the moment. I hope it's short-lived. When I started listing on here again (last year) I had a few problems happen all at once like that... thankfully it hasn't ever happened like that again. Procrastinating is my main issue now.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Is this a conspiracy?

It's not a conspiracy, but as you've seen, there are more & more people with a sense of entitlement.

I think it is a lot more rife on ebay because people can click & commit to buy without actually paying.

On just about every other ( big company) selling site I go onto, you have to pay first before it is yours.

Then if you change your mind, the company can say bad luck or refuse & there isn't a lot you can do because the company is in charge of its own business. You might go on a review site & slam them, but that's about all.

Plus of course, most other online places insist on you choosing a postage option (or else perhaps ticking for a click & collect) so all that is sorted at the time of payment.

The difference on ebay is ebay is not the actual seller and bidders are aware of that. They don't take it as seriously as some of the other sites. Some of them also know they can get away with it on ebay whereas it would be much more difficult or impossible on many other sites. It's about consequences.

You've just had a bad run, mind you. Not all buyers on ebay are like that. But expect to get a lot of it on ebay or some of the other sites for smaller sellers, like gumtree or FB. 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Is this a conspiracy?

1. Just cancel the sale. Poor form.

2. eBay is for 18+ only but if more than 12 hours left I would get buyer to retract so it's on their account.

3. Just cancel, some buyers just don't see it's pick up only. Very small font on the front under the price.

And in searches eBay uses the word FREE for pick up items, can be thought of as free postage.

image host
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Is this a conspiracy?

Be careful not to get a defect for cancelling the sales I think you should pick BUYER HAS REQUESTED TO CANCEL THE SALE.... then its clear its not you cancelling the sales (otherwise you could get a defect for cancelling)

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply