Item Sold with Previously Unseen Defect

Wondering what to do in this situation.

I listed an item for auction to end Sunday evening (eight days ago) and on that morning noticed a small defect I had overlooked. The item had already attracted bids, it was too late to revise the listing, so I added a note explaining the defect.

The item sold for well above the price I was expecting. The winning bidder hadn’t seen the note, but said, “I want the <item> but if it’s broken not at $xx.”

Fair enough. I sent the buyer photos of the issue, asked them to have a look and let me know what they think. I haven’t heard back from them after that message and two follow up messages.

So, what to do? The buyer has a good track record and opening an unpaid item case does not seem appropriate.

Hoping some more experienced ebayers can provide a suggestion(s).

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If it is the Aberdeen cooler bag then you can offer to an underbidder but need to clarify from winner that they don't want it.

I think the buyer is waiting for you to give them an offer price if you haven't already.

Personally I would send one last message if you don't hear from them in 24 hours you will relist and that you understand if they don't want to go ahead with the purchase.

But I would wait a day or so after the weekend.

Then If I don't hear from the buyer I would relist and cancel the sale some time later so the buyer ignores it and it times out. If you cancel too soon the buyer may select not agree and you don't get your fee back.

But at that price you should be able to negotiate a price with the buyer unless the oversight is major.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I don't know where your buyer is located but this is a long weekend in most states.

I would wait till at least Tuesday night before doing anything more.....if he is away it will give him a chance to get home and see your messages.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

If it is the Aberdeen cooler bag then you can offer to an underbidder but need to clarify from winner that they don't want it.

I think the buyer is waiting for you to give them an offer price if you haven't already.

Personally I would send one last message if you don't hear from them in 24 hours you will relist and that you understand if they don't want to go ahead with the purchase.

But I would wait a day or so after the weekend.

Then If I don't hear from the buyer I would relist and cancel the sale some time later so the buyer ignores it and it times out. If you cancel too soon the buyer may select not agree and you don't get your fee back.

But at that price you should be able to negotiate a price with the buyer unless the oversight is major.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks guys, I'll take that on board. Don't mind waiting a little longer with a genuine buyer.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Holiday weekend just passed or not, I'd expect a buyer to be keeping tabs on this because after all, the auction ended 8 days ago, well before the public holiday kicked in.

I don't believe you realistically can open an unpaid item dispute for the simple reason the item was not exactly as described.

But you certainly could expect a reply to your messages.

I think the buyer was quite clear. They are angling for a reduced price rather than a cancellation. If I were you, I'd send one last message. Make them an offer. Explain you know they were not aware of the defect and in light of that, you are prepared to reduce the price to X amount if they are still interested in buying it. If so, please let you know by.. I would not give it a minute later than Wednesday, myself.

That way, the terms are clear & if you don't hear from them you can cancel the sale and relist.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Springy, it is still the public holiday in NSW......you need to allow for members being in different states.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply