Item is damaged before sending

Hi, 

So I am relatively new to selling on eBay (about 5weeks in) & today I listed a handheld game console and it sold within an hour of listing! However, I was selling this item on behalf of a family member who took the photos and I was going to go and pick the item up later in the day. I always test electronic items and video games before listing to ensure they work, so for some reason I just assumed my family member had at least turned the console on. However, upon getting it all home it turns out the LCD in this console is in need of a replacement & I didn’t find that out until after the buyer paid!

I’m so embarrassed this has happened as I try my best to be thorough and honest in my listings, so I’m not sure what to say to the buyer in this situation. I’m also assuming I will receive a strike for cancelling the order?

I would thoroughly appreciate some advice! Thank you 🙂 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

There is an option to cancel orders.  One of options is '' out of stock or damaged''.  But I can't recall if you get a defect for using that one.

But I would also send the buyer a PM advising them of the issue, so that they are aware of why you are cancelling the order.  Just out of courtesy

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

checked you do get a defect.  

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks for checking! I had a feeling I’d receive a defect for it. Ah well, lesson learned now! Haha.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

You know what they say never work with family, friends or pets.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply