Item not as described - help please?

Hi,

I have sold an item to a customer however in my description I failed to mention that the pillowcase had a flange (border around it). 

When I send all my items out, I place a note stating to carefully check your order and if all is ok then leave me positive feedback.

The customer has left positive feedback, however a week later (after they have discarded the packaging and used the item already) they have opened a return request.

I have offered a partial refund on the item or the option that they return the item to me in its original condition (this was prior to me finding out that they had already used the item).

Where do I stand in this situation?

On Ebay pages it states:

When an item isn't as described

If a buyer receives an item that doesn't match the way it was described in the listing, the buyer needs to request a return from My eBay. The seller should address the buyer's concern and offer a solution such as having the item returned for a replacement or refund.

If the buyer doesn't receive a response or solution, or returns the item but doesn't receive a refund or replacement from the seller, the buyer can ask us to step in and help.

If asked to step in, we review the item description, photos of the item, if provided by the buyer or seller, and any other information about the item that the buyer and seller provide. If we can't determine that the item matches the listing description, the seller has already offered a return, or the seller's stated return window and policy applies, we may ask the buyer to return the item to the seller.

When an item is returned

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

• The seller is required to accept the return at their specified return address.

• The cost of return postage is the seller's responsibility.

• Signature confirmation is required for returns of items with a total cost of $750 or more.

• The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I have no idea how much money we are talking about but unless it was a very expensive pillow case I would just have refunded the buyer and told them too keep it.  They may very well have left the feedback on receipt and not unpacked and used it for a couple of weeks and then only have realised it was not the correct one once they put it on the pillow. They may have asked somebody else to make the bed up and not have seen the pillow case straight away. Who knows but the fact is the item is not as described and good customer service would take priority over whatever ebay rules were about returns if it were me.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

It was part of a quilt cover set and i have offered a partial refund however they have asked ebay to step in. I believe the partial refund I offered was generous.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

isus - buyers can be really fussy at times.

Regardless of the price as you made the error you really should either pay for it to be returned or if it is not worthwhile getting it back refund the buyer in full.

Some people just don't like the look of a tailored edge pillowcase.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Your mistake so your loss, up to you if you think it is worth the cost of the return postage but the buyer certainly shouldn't be out of pocket.

They didn't get what they ordered so why on earth should they settle for a partial refund?  At long last ebay is making all sellers do as many of us have always done, refunded or replaced without cost to the buyer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Maybe I am missing something here but it doesn't sound to me as if it is an item not as described case at all.

The seller said

in my description I failed to mention that the pillowcase had a flange (border around it).

It is part of a quilt set. Unless the seller specifically said there was no border on the pillow case, then all that has happened is the design is not exactly as the buyer envisaged it.

Incomplete description maybe but not a false description.

There are a couple of things happening here.

* The buyer opneed the pack, disposed of the packaging & is using the items.

* The customer has left feedback.

We can make up all sorts of scenarios where the buyer might not have made the bed etc etc and I understand someone might leave feedback before opening a pack.

But it is up to a buyer to open the pack eventually and if it isn't as described, repack it as new and talk about returns then.

I wouldn't like to try to return used bedding to any retail shop, tell them the pattern wasn't as I expected and I wanted a refund. I doubt I would get it.

I am not sure how this buyer would get on in an ebay dispute either if they have used the bedding.

That's the tipping point for me. You can't go and use things then complain later it isn't what you want. I wouldn't wish to refund them a cent.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

springyzone - The majority of quilt cover sets come with just standard pillowcases (without the flange) and that is what buyers expect unless specified. If the picture showed standard pillowcases and there was no mention of a tailored edge in the description then personally I would consider the item as not as described.

If an item is not as described, whether or not the packaging is complete or has been disposed off, a retail shop has to accept the item back - no questions asked - and if the buyer wants a refund they have to be given it.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

The customer cannot return the item in any way, shape or form as it was. They have no packaging but more than that, they have used the items.

For faulty items, I fully understand people should be entitled to a refund but you know what, even then they aren't, necessarily.

I bought a watch, next day it stopped. Shop insisted on sending it away for repairs & I was without it for 3 weeks.

But in this case, there is no fault as such. How do they expect the seller to resell the item if it is without packaging and has been used?

I would have been 100% on the side of any buyer who received an item not as described and wanted to return it. But not a lot later, after using it, & long enough ago so that they can't even retrieve packaging.

A lot pivots around the description & photos too. The pillow slips they did receive might even be more expensive ones if the truth be known.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply