Item returned uncollected

Hi all

An item I sold over 3 weeks ago eventually was awaiting collection at the buyer's local Post Office.  I noticed (through tracking) that the item was sitting waiting for collection for several days.  So, getting a bit worried, I emailed the buyer to say their item has not been collected and was at their local Post Office waiting collection.

However the 10 day period passed and tracking still showed the item as not collected, and because of Post Office policy, the item is now on its way back to me.  I've never come across this before.  I should receive the parcel tomorrow (Wednesday 23rd April).

Has anyone else experienced this?  Presumably there will be a reason on the parcel why it has come back to me?  Should I get in touch with the buyer ASAP before I see the parcel, (even though I got no response from the heads-up email I sent, mentioning the parcel was ready for collection)?

Thank you.  Hoping I will not get negative feedback from the buyer for an item which the buyer was supposed to collect.

Maybe they did not want the item anymore.  Should I offer a refund and ask them this in an email?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Janet

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I have had this happen once before with a registered parcel.  I just sent a message through ebay saying I had received their parcel back and asked if they would like a refund or if they would like it resent. I did mention to resend it would cost them the same postage again. I didn't get a response straight away so just held onto it and the money. About a week later the buyer contacted me.

It turns out the buyer who lived alone had been taken to hospital so couldn't collect their mail. I resent it the next day free of charge.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

If they open a INR, PayPal will instruct you to resend the item. (at your expense) Their reasoning was that you have the money and the item and they don't cover post or something (eyes glazed over at this bit cos I was furious at their decision and wasn't heqaring what I expected)

For that reason, I would try not to let this go as far as a PayPal dispute.

I reckon, message the seller (so eBay sees you have tried) and tell them that the parcel has been returned, and let them know that you will look forward to repostiong the item to them once they forward you additional postage.

I'd also give eBay a ring to make sure it is at least a note on your account - arm yourself with everything possible to fight a potential neg is my thoughts.

Wait and see if they ask for a refund, I wouldn't be offering it, just leave it as the expectation that you are either awaiting collection or money to post the thing.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I've had letters returned to sender, emailed the buyers and got no response.

If they open an INR case you will have Paypal protection as you can provide proof of postage to the buyer (presumably). And could possibly get a neg overturned.

I would message the buyer through eBay asking them what they want to do. If they tell you to resell it, refund them minus ALL associated costs - postage, FVF, listing fees. If they want you to resend, charge them for another lot of postage, as you will have to pay that to resend.

Block them.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Have had that happen many a time. Usually l wait until the parcel comes back. Hopefully Aust post have put a sticker on the front with a tick on the box to say what the issue is (no such address, not collected, Left address, etc).

l usually message the buyer with the details and wait for a reply. If l don't get a reply after a week, l pull the buyer details and ring them.

Then one of two things will happen:

1. The buyer says 'opps, l forgot to change my address', or 'opps, l were away and forgot to collect'  l offer to resend once they have paid the postage again.

If the address is correct and Aust Post made a boo boo, l take the parcel back to the post office and postie writes 'please deliver, address correct'. No extra postage charge needed.

2. The buyer dosen't answer phone or message, has vanished off the face of the earth. l store the parcel in my stock room until which time l hear from the buyer. (l have one parcel in the stock room that has been sitting there for almost a year. Can't even refund as their paypal email addy is invalid).

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@thingsmostneeded wrote:

Have had that happen many a time. Usually l wait until the parcel comes back. Hopefully Aust post have put a sticker on the front with a tick on the box to say what the issue is (no such address, not collected, Left address, etc).

l usually message the buyer with the details and wait for a reply. If l don't get a reply after a week, l pull the buyer details and ring them.

additionally, now that you can send images with eBay messages I would take a picture of the returned item with any AP stamp/sticker indicating that the item was not collected by the buyer.  This may alleviate any buyer mistrust regarding your claim that the item was returned to seller.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

My last one was a RTS from December, Jeanie. Paid by BD, so I can't even refund. Doesn't answer emails, too late to pull details I think (not that I care, online selling means contact online, and I'm not ringing Perth on my mobile). If/when they contact me and provide their bank account details, I will refund less ALL costs. In the interim, I will be relisting shortly.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@thingsmostneeded wrote:

Then one of two things will happen:

1. The buyer says 'opps, l forgot to change my address', or 'opps, l were away and forgot to collect'  l offer to resend once they have paid the postage again.

If the address is correct and Aust Post made a boo boo, l take the parcel back to the post office and postie writes 'please deliver, address correct'. No extra postage charge needed.

2. The buyer dosen't answer phone or message, has vanished off the face of the earth. l store the parcel in my stock room until which time l hear from the buyer. (l have one parcel in the stock room that has been sitting there for almost a year. Can't even refund as their paypal email addy is invalid).

is that the stock room that broke in half?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Wow, thank you so much everyone for your input and suggestions!  I will definitely wait now for the parcel to arrive so that I can email the buyer with the reason for the return.  Hopefully the sticker will be on the parcel.  I think the suggestion to take a photo of the returned parcel and upload it with the message is a great idea!  I will also contact EBay, as suggested so a note can be put on my file.  Hoping the customer will not open up an INR dispute - she may not be aware of that, as the customer was newly registered.  I will probably ask the customer what she wants to do, wait for a reply and take it from there.

I will post again to say how I got on.  Thank you so much again everyone.  I will look at ALL the information from these posts again before I compose and send the email to the buyer when the parcel arrives tomorrow - my mind might be a bit clearer then!.

Regards

Janet

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

The buyer may not have had a card to notify them, and may have been waiting patiently.

you never know. I rarely receive a card.

good idea to email them and follow it up 🙂

very few sellers I have dealt with would do that...out of sight out of mind. I know it is also the buyer's responsibility to check tracking if something appears awry...IF they have the number, a few sellers still do not see it is important to upload it, but it can be helpful to have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply