January better than expected.

Gotta say - January has been pretty good for sales.

December was somewhat down and I thought that Jan would be the same due to school holidays here in Aus and tax time in the USA, my main international sales destination. But honestly, it was a cracking month, both here and especially on the other platform I sell on, so I've been really pleased about all that.

How about my fellow sellers - has 2019 started well for you?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I had a pretty shaky start, as I went on holidays for 8 days over Christmas.

I expected things to be slow for a while, and also got a couple of negs during this month which didn't help (one completely out of left field, the other pretty much expected). 

Most of January went ok though, despite showing a 50% downturn initially I was still kept pretty busy, and now the graph isn't including December, it's showing I'm pretty much on par with sales from last month / year. My other channels continue to show growth in most categories, so I certainly can't complain. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

My sales volume and turnover are almost identical to this time last year, as they were last month, and the one before...

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Well done!.   January for myself has been the worst for five years even though I have more items listed and new product lines.   

I tried various promotions, changed my stock a little, normally items are buy it now but sampled some auctions etc to no avail. Just kept thinking it has to pick up and yes this week has shown some promise that things will get back to normal now that school is back and we all get back into our routines.  

The other platform I find with my lines is very up and down and I only sell internationally on the smaller light items as with postage costs it is just not feasible for a buyer or the larger heavier items. It seems with this platform great for a week and dead for three. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

My friend, who also has a store, and I are always trying to figure out when and why people buy when they do. We often get frustrated. lol
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
My friend, who also has a store, and I are always trying to figure out when and why people buy when they do. We often get frustrated. lol

No need to get frustrated,people will buy what they want when they want but the bottom line is that you need to be selling items they want.

IMO the things you sell you should sell them on facebook,my daughter sells sports shoes on facebook and is doing really well with no fees but on the odd occasion she delivers the shoes locally.

She's one of those nutty's that purchased a pair of shoes each week and put them away in the cupboard,I call her the shoey hoarder lol,she has hundreds of them.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

January was pretty good for me, a touch down on last January, but still very acceptable.

I listed a large amount of material in December and that helped to keep sales reasonable.

As usual, the first half of January was very good, the second half tailed off a bit as Christmas & School bills began to bite and took away discretionary money.

February is usually a shocker for my sort of business, so nearly time for a holiday..

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I'm in the same business as you and since coming back after being ripped off by dishonest buyers with the help of ebay and then booted off ebay I'm selling like crazy,I only sell quality coins and notes in auction format.

I tried selling BIN but found that I was selling for a higher price with an auction so went down that road and haven't looked back.

But like I have always stated is that if you sell what buyers want then you'll sell all year round.

All the best to all the sellers.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply