Late Shipment Defect - Interesting Discussion with CSR

We recently received our first late shipment defect. We use almost exclusively large letter so no tracking.

An item never arrived so after discussion with the buyer we sent out a replacement item.
When it arrived the buyer was happy and left us POS FB but answered the arrival date question with NO.
Of course they were correct as the original did arrive late, in fact never at all..

I contacted the buyer about it and of course they were unaware that answering with NO issued the seller a defect.
They apologised profusely as they were very happy with the way we had handled the lost item.

So on the off chance that ebay might take the messages between us into account I contacted CS about removal of the defect.
As expected really without tracking they simply refused to do it.

Here is part of the conversation....

Me: So you simply 100% believe the buyer when they answer the question as NO?

CSR: Yes we do.

Me: But you don't believe me, a seller with a 100% feedback track record and no other late shipment defects, when I click the Posted On Date button? Even with the supporting messages?

CSR: That's correct ... yes.

End of conversation right there. So as a seller you have no chance of being believed it seems.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Surely that didn't surprise you Clarry. We are just the mugs paying the fees, we don't matter for any other reason.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

That is harsh from my perspective.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

So if you hadn't sent a replacement and just refunded in response to item not received that would mean no defect correct?

You could have sent them an empty package and they would have had to go not as described dispute, you refund, and that snot a defect either

How is what you did worse than the above situations?  So you were punished for doing right by buyer?

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

We always send a replacement for lost articles.

Since the original never arrived then it was clearly outside the ebay estimated delivery date. So the buyer answered NO.

But even if we had refunded that would not have stopped the buyer from leaving feedback and still aswering NO to the same question.

So would still have gotten the late delivery defect anyway.

So it seems in a case like this you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

When using large letter you are always at the mercy of the buyer when they answer this question as you have no comeback with tracking as proof of postage.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I used to list my old DVDs and post in C5 sized envelopes (no tracking), not to make a profit, but merely just to clear my bookshelf and make room for new titles.

Sell a few at $5 or $6, and after fees and postage that will pay for another new movie/tv show for me.

However, since everyhting seems to be moving towards tracking, I have decided it is not worthwhile risking a defect, and hence are donating all my old discs to the Salvos.

Good for the charity shop, and I'm guessing the small amount of fees lost by eBay won't be missed.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I recently got a neg as there was some kind of technical glitch, and the buyer couldnt pay, assumed that was my fault and neg'd me. Upon calling ebay to get the neg removed ( which I was eventually successful in) the ebay rep said the technical issue was my fault and as such they could not remove the neg. I had to get transferrred around and eventually found someone who actually understood what they were doing. So apparently if the eBay system fails for some reason thats the sellers fault as well now and I waste half an hour of my time chasing down your incompetence. Idiots!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I think I'm going to cop a late shipment defect or even an INR as well...

www.ebay.com.au/itm/161983029107

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/track.html#/track?id=R342780021437687

Bought on the 6th, sent on the 7th, no tracking updated and no buyer messages or feedback over a week later (VIC to QLD).

The games were sent in a thick 4-disc DVD type case and put in a large, yellow, reused Royal Mail bubble mailer. And yes, the old addresses and postmarks were covered over with paper and the mailer stapled and taped shut. Don't tell me yet another Australia Post truck went up in flames!
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply