Layby - is it possible on Australian eBay?

Is there anyone out there successfully offering their buyers layby through the current Australian eBay systems?

Afterpay is not the answer for every buyer.

Once upon a time I used to tell my buyer to 'buy it now' but NOT pay - so I would get the buyers phone number at least (used to get email address) so layby conditions and payment information could be arranged - BUT, it now seems that the buyer must 'confirm and pay' otherwise it goes nowhere.

It used to work ok - eBay got their fees (I'm not trying to avoid fees) - I'd tell the buyer to ignore the payment reminders sent by eBay, and I'd have my contact information to  proceed with layby arrangements.

Would love to hear if anyone has found a way to offer layby - particularly to new buyers you have never had prior interaction with.

Thanking you!!

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the issue is the "confirm and pay" stage, if you don't have immediate payment enabled, the buyer can just click on "confirm and pay" and not pay immediately, but they will get reminders to pay. Buyers are supposed to pay after confirming, but theoretically without immediate payment enabled they don't have to pay immediately.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Ebay offers other options apart from AfterPay, like ZipPay. Even PayPal offers a "Pay in Four" option (you have to apply though, like for any other credit option - having a PP account is not enough). I don't need credit, so I have never used them, but I think they now have stricter rules. There was a thread not too long ago if you search the forum.

If somebody is not accepted by AfterPay, there might be a reason though, and they might have problems with other options too.

I don't think there is an option for a private arrangement between seller and buyer, although if the seller agrees to wait for payment I guess it is possible. I have occasionally done this after winning an auction while waiting for other auctions to complete so the seller would be able to send me a combined postage invoice. I did get reminders (and the seller told me to ignore them because they were automatic).

Message 2 of 74
Latest reply

I cannot edit my reply any more. I just wanted to add that with the auctions it was just a matter of days of course. I think the maximum was a week.

I am not sure why you want to offer layby to new buyers?

Message 3 of 74
Latest reply

Theoretically lay-by may still be possible on eBay, but it’s not protected under the MBG.

As a buyer, I would not use it. If I were a seller, I would not offer it. It seems obvious that eBay have enabled other BNPL payment methods to regulate this sort of transaction… and as papermoon says, there is also the PayPal Pay in Four option. The burden of controlling the payments and schedule doesn’t rest on the seller and is thus far less of a risk for everyone involved.

Message 4 of 74
Latest reply

I just can't find a way to 'wait for payment' - eBay no longer allows you to 'buy it now' and not make immediate payment. About the only other idea I can come up with is to send the buyer an offer, not sure but I think the buyer is able to accept the offer and not be forced to the 'pay and confirm' screen.

When I said Afterpay (and the like) is not an option for everyone I meant perhaps they don't have a credit card - have no idea if those types of options function with debit cards.

Anyway - thank  your for your thoughts - appreciated!

Message 5 of 74
Latest reply

Why not? A sale is a sale

Yes, I'm aware that this person may be trying to scam me - but if they don't make their payments (should we get to a point where we are in a layby agreement) then they won't be getting their purchase.

Message 6 of 74
Latest reply

@tourterelle33 wrote:

I just can't find a way to 'wait for payment' - eBay no longer allows you to 'buy it now' and not make immediate payment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a seller, so I don't know for sure, but many sellers come here complaining that buyers buy something and then don't pay. Are you sure you can't disable immediate payment? From what I know, it is an "option". Have a look at your settings. Or some seller will come here and tell you how to do it.

Message 7 of 74
Latest reply

@tourterelle33 wrote:

Why not? A sale is a sale

Yes, I'm aware that this person may be trying to scam me - but if they don't make their payments (should we get to a point where we are in a layby agreement) then they won't be getting their purchase.

Apart from the risk to both you and the "buyer" like the sale not being covered by the MBG, if you're aware that there's a possible scam taking place, then not only are you going to lose that sale while the NPD dispute is going through (if you are even allowed to raise one) that item will be unable to be purchased by genuine buyers.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 74
Latest reply

I do not require 'immediate payment' - this option is supposedly disabled. Doesn't seem to matter or make any difference. eBay does what is wants with my preferences - including 'combined postage' - that doesn't work real well either, but I think this is particularly when people use mobile devices

Message 9 of 74
Latest reply

If the issue is the "confirm and pay" stage, if you don't have immediate payment enabled, the buyer can just click on "confirm and pay" and not pay immediately, but they will get reminders to pay. Buyers are supposed to pay after confirming, but theoretically without immediate payment enabled they don't have to pay immediately.

Message 10 of 74
Latest reply