My account has been restricted on 3 consecutive times. Lol Getting over their childish games!!!

mcbaj
Community Member

This is just a vent really as I'm fed up with eBay's childish games.

MY account was first restricted for three day, as I was accused for selling outside of eBay. Of course they had zero proof, only that i gave someone my phone number is a message they sent to me so they could talk to me over the phone rather than playing message tennis. So an accusation is enough for a conviction according to eBay.

Second time, a buyer wanting my phone number, I said no, give me yours and I'll ring you. Hmm, got another 3days off. 

And just this morning I got another 7 days cooling off, all because I put in my description if anyone wants to chat, leave your number and I will call you.

What f*&$%ing morons! I have no intentions of selling outside of eBay. Its just easier to talk to the potention buyer over the phone if they have more than one question. I run a store on here too which generates around 2k of income for eBay per month. So I sell a bit of stuff. Phone numbers are plastered all over the store and no issues there. Oh wait, probably because your making money off that account...

Dumb chit city must be where eBay comes from.

Vent over, for now.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

My account has been restricted on 3 consecutive times. Lol Getting over their childish games!!!

Just to let you know, if a potential buyer sends their number they will be restricted and probably you also.

And if you get anymore bans eBay may decide to send this account on a long holiday.

Suggestions have been made to take a photo of number written down then attach it in a message if need be.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Suggestions have been made to take a photo of number written down then attach it in a message if need be.

Maybe with a note on it "I will only sell through eBay" to cover the proverbial Kopes.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

@mcbaj wrote:

I have no intentions of selling outside of eBay. 

Unfortunately, ebay don't care about intentions (they never have when it comes to their policies), they only care about the potential outcomes of specific actions and whether it's possible to breach a policy given the circumstances, which is really just a bizarre approach to a problem. Where most would implement pre-emptive strikes to simply prevent something they don't want to happen, or encourage the things they do want to happen, eBay will instead punish you if you do something that could potentially result in that thing happening, and have no interest in listening to the reasoning behind the action. 

The policy in this case is more specifically the ban on exchange of contact info (unless already involved in a transaction), not the intention to sell outside of ebay. It is quite possibly one of the dumbest policies they've introduced, in that it's thwarting sales on ebay, causing discontent amongst all users, and ultimately encouraging them to buy / sell elsewhere anyway. 

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander so why is the goose allowed to do it but not the gander?

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

It is quite possibly one of the dumbest policies they've introduced, in that it's thwarting sales on ebay, causing discontent amongst all users, and ultimately encouraging them to buy / sell elsewhere anyway. 

Couldn't agree more Digi, the policy has to be counter productive to sales in the long run.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

As I've noted previously, I copped a warning for giving a customer my address and phone number after he'd already purchased the item.

After posting a rant on eBay's Facebook page and a Live Chat session, I was assured that I'd done nothing wrong (I already knew that, thanks...) and that it wouldn't be held against me.

And yes, I understand the reason why they're doing it - but as with most eBay policies, they'll penalise everyone in order to get the handful that are actually doing the wrong thing.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Under "advanced Search" at the top of the eBay page there are options to obtain a members details, which can only be accessed if you have a transaction with them.  The details are emailed.  I haven't had to use this myself, but I presume this is how you would do it for pick-up items.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

My God! How do you protect yourself then if a customer sends you a number or email address? You've taken no part in that. Why should you be penalised as well?

We've only had the one instance, but thankfully it went under the radar. But, you're right in what you say about stifling sales, because after we explained the circumstances to that customer, all we got back was, 'Too hard - don't worry about it.' Never to be heard from again.

Silly policy begets silly results.

Melina.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Pretty sure you will find that after 3 strikes you are out - meaning EBay will shut down your accounts (all of them).

If you get downon your knees and beg they MAY give you another final, final chance, but all of your sale proceeds will be placed on pending for 21 days.

Tread carefully

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply