My seller level is below standard in the US should i be concerned ??

I received this message from ebay : Your seller level is Below Standard in US for the third cycle. Be aware that you have one more cycle to show improvement before your selling account may be subject to changes.

My current rating is "above standard" according to my dasboard so not sure what this email means

Should i be concerned  ???  i have a few international customers  mostly from the US  a handfull items go missing in the mail and INR cases are opened which are resolved buy sending a replacement and closed in my favor . But recently had a large order from another US customer how claimed all items  were defective , he opened a case and imediatley wanted a refund  I OK'ed that but wanted the items returned , due to postage delays the case was closed by ebay a full refund given to the buyer and  i never got the items back ,so im guessing this transaction gave me a low US  rating  .will this affect me and how should i fix it ?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I honestly don't know, I tried to check for info on eBay's info pages re: seller standards, but while they mention the US has different seller standards, they don't mention what happens if you fall below standard on an international site.

The closest I could find was this paragraph on seller standards, on eBay.com: 

"If you don't meet the minimum global performance standards, your search placement will be lowered and there may be limits to your international selling activity until your ratings improve. You may also be restricted from selling items on eBay outside of your domestic market if your performance falls significantly below the minimum requirements."

Australia's standards, while domestic to us, are part of the global seller standards, so I guess this is the most important one? Maybe ebay might restrict your selling to the US, but I really wouldn't be able to say for sure one way or the other.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Go here:

https://sellerstandards.ebay.com/dashboard?region=GLOBAL

That's the default for Aus, but there is a little drop down menu at the top and you can select USA and see where you stand.

I agree with Digital Ghost, most likely any penalties will only be applied to US sales, not anywhere else.

If you can provide a decent explanation to customer support, you may be able to get them to remove some or all of the defects. Maybe try convincing them to only apply 1 since it was really just one sale that the customer did over several transactions. Also, maybe get them to consider the fact that it is unbalanced because you only do a few sales in the US. When looking at your account as a whole, your defects are only a small fraction.

Maybe also suggest that perhaps this buyer was less than honest since he never sent the items back and probably kept them. But I would save that as a last resort.

You may have to call customer support in the USA. Maybe try sending them a message first. I would try to get it sorted asap though, if you let the penalties take effect, it will probably be harder to get them reversed.

Sigh. Ebay is such a confusing mess. Good luck.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I rang ebay and your explanation is spot on . My downfall was with the purchase I mentioned, the buyer bought 5 items from me ,and opened 5 separate disputes which put my seller rating  as bellow standard in the USA .The penalty for my crime will be less visability for 12 months on the US site (so everyone looses out) . I was also told that i could have appealed the desicion but as 90 days has elapsed its too late and its my resposibility to check the dash board ,shame I'm too old to do a uni degree in ebay trading ...

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply