Need to hold on to a sold item till September

minmum66
Community Member

Sold an item last night on ebay. In the first line of my ad, I had “Pick-up Only - Cash upon pick-up (No paypal)

This morning I get a message from the buyer saying “that the person lives interstate & will be in Sydney late September & will pick-up then.

This morning the item was paid using paypal. I reversed the payment to the buyer not realising that I was going to be up for charges from paypal (haven't sold anything using paypal for along time). 

So far it has cost me 0.52 cents for receiving the initial $20 for the item & now another 0.30 cents for a reversal, (a total of 0.82 cents).

Had I have known that I was going to be up for more charges I would not have bothered with reversing the payment.

It was very disappointing that the buyer would not firstly contact me to ask me whether it was ok to hold on to the item for so long.

Secondly paying using paypal when I clearly said that in my ad & I incur extra charges. When I contacted the buyer saying that the payment has been reversed as it is a pick-up only item & I was told that “in my haste to pay you i completely forgot the cash payment you've mentioned in the ad”

I know a lot of you will say “that it guarantees the item will be picked up etc", but what if this person picks up the item & find it is not as described, which I then have to reverse that money anyway.

Feeling very annoyed.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the item is pickup only neither you nor the buyer are covered by paypal.

The buyer could open all the disputes that they want to but all you have to do is say that the item was picked up and that would be the end of it.

The only way the buyer would get their money back is if they funded the paypal payment with a credit or Visa debit card...they could do a chargeback through their bank.  Then they would have the item and their money back.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

bugger that, I would be telling them where to go or else be charging them storage fees.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

The same thing happened to a few months ago too.

I specifically said payment of "cash upon pick-up" . The buyer at the time paid by paypal which I reversed.

I came on the forum seeking advice at the time & was told that "at least that guarantees that the buyer will pick-up the item since they have paid"

That is beside the point.

I do not want to be up for unnecessary fees.

Am I within my rights to insist that the buyer pays the 0.82 cents when they pick-up the item?, (while it isn't a lot to most people, it is a lot for me & this is money I don't want to go to paypal since it is not my fault),

The other thing is, wouldn't you think, that someone would ask the seller first, whether it is ok to hold on to the item, first before purchasing.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

very rude of them just to assume you would hold it that long. I sure as heck wouldn't. I would just say no sorry and relist it, add a few dollars on to cover your losses.
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

You can certainly ask the buyer to pay the fees but if they are so thoughtless as to not even ask if it is OK for you to hold the item for 2 months I doubt if you would get it anyway.

And paying by paypal is not guaranteed to see the item picked up....there have been a number of sellers on the boards asking what they should do when items have been paid by paypal and not picked up in 6 months or more.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Really, I could do that.

Do I just go to the add & re-advertise it.

Wouldn't ebay charge me fees because the item is already "sold", as far as they are concerned.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

why not? if they complain to ebay I'm sure you wouldn't be expected to wait that long, especially as they never asked.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I would send the buyer a message first saying that you are unable to store the item for that long. The reason you are selling it is because you want it gone asap. Ask them if they would agree to a cancellation. that would  cancel out the FVF you have paid.

However you could just relist and add on the fees you have paid to the price when you relist it.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Ok, will do that.

And if they don't agree to it, do I then get in touch with e-bay?

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply