New paypal buyer protection program

Dear fellow ebayer seller,

How do you feel about the new 'buyer protection program' to be introduced 18 Nov.

I have absolutely no problems that buyers should be protected but I am really scared as a seller that someone can claim up to 6 months after sale. How am I protected, how can be sure that buyer does not abuse this?

How should I reflect this to paypal. I am really worried.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

sell elsewhere.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

To be honest, the more I think about it, the less I worry about it.

I mean, to date buyers have had 45 days and I have had few returns and no paypal disputes, so can't see how making it longer will cause buyers to increase their rates of returns or disputes. Having said that, it will without a doubt be a great system for scammers and dishonest buyers who will obviously take up this generous paypal offer..

I think shortening it might have a worse effect...buyers anxious to get in before cut off period. Perhaps I am wrong..but am not too worried..

but I am VERY CONCERNED about the dsr system

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Some buyers will abuse it, some selling will go broke, but it is what it is, so we all have to live with it or get out.Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

selling on consignment just died
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

If they apply the policy in the way they say they are going to then it is a good thing IMO. There are several posts every day from buyers who have relied on a seller saying an item has a warrenty but when they try to claim on it the seller ignores them or says tough luck, the new policy is meant to make them live up to the terms of any warrenty up to 180 days.  It will also stop the sellers who use shady tactics to get buyers to wait until over the 45 day limit with tales of postal delays etc.

I am sure that if Paypal try and issue refunds for items like clothing after nearly six months they will find themselves on the pointy end of a report to the financial ombudsman.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Give PayPal a call. Explain your concerns to them. Listen to what they have to say and how they intend to implement the new policy. Also ask them what documentation you need to keep in order to defend any claims against you. Ask them how best to protect yourself. I think you will find relief in the answers.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-15/ebay-merchants-lamenting-neglect-bid-paypal-good-riddance.h...

Have a read in the comments sections.

Most US sellers are considering leaving, they got plenty of options over there.

We always get short end of the stick here down under.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

I figure it is best to stop selling for a while to see what does happen but I don't make any money I just get rid of stuff I don't want. If one can afford a break from selling and if everyone did stop selling that would send eBay a definitive "we're not happy" and eBay would be forced to look at it sensibly.
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I agree its a bit daunting:-

I can understand when they are brand new items, which should have a warranty / guarantee etc.

But as a seller of second hand books, I think it is a bit over protecting. 

eg:  can a buyer read a book & say they didn't like it and ask for a refund?  

I am just going to continue on as I have and see what happens

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply