Nigerian scam?

A few months ago I put an item up to sell, I am new to selling on eBay. I think I might be getting scammed. The item was about to expire the auction time when the buyer clicked buy it now, which was nearly $100 extra than if they had just waited 5 minutes. Initially the buyer was in New Zealand but wanted the item posted to America, then I was sent an email from eBay warning me that it was more than likely a scam and that I could relist the item. I have just received an email from "eBay", the buyer and "paypal" saying there was some confusion but it is all okay now. I don't know if the emails from eBay and paypal are genuine emails. Another thing that made me suspicious was the buyer emailed me saying they would like it to be sent to Nigeria as a gift for someone and is quite pushy that I need to send it ASAP and the payment has been "sent".

Please, If anyone has advice and could help I would really appreciate it

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nigerian scam?

Hi,anything from eBay will be in your eBay message inbox.

Never click on a link on a on an email msg.If you are unsure then go to Customer Support & call eBay to see what's going on.

Whatever it was I'm sure you would have got a message from eBay sooner,if this was from months ago.

I'm sure someone else can answer better,I'm really tired & just giving it a shot incase no-one else is awake to answer you ATM.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Nigerian scam?

Hi,anything from eBay will be in your eBay message inbox.

Never click on a link on a on an email msg.If you are unsure then go to Customer Support & call eBay to see what's going on.

Whatever it was I'm sure you would have got a message from eBay sooner,if this was from months ago.

I'm sure someone else can answer better,I'm really tired & just giving it a shot incase no-one else is awake to answer you ATM.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Nigerian scam?

cq_tech
Community Member
If you haven't sent anything yet, don't. This is absolutely a scam. Anything to do with Nigeria is totally dodgy and they're extremely good at creating very professional-looking false eBay & Paypal emails. As Narelle said, the only messages you should take notice of are those which appear in your eBay Messages; everything else must be regarded as being suspect.

You only have to log into your Paypal account to see that no payment will have ever been received from the person involved. Have nothing more to do with them. Delete any further emails and totally ignore them from now on. And always remember, Nigeria = SCAM.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Nigerian scam?

Its a scam..My sister was selling a gold ring.Same thing happened. Cant remember the details but she had to talk to Pay Pal a bit and change her password for some reason

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Nigerian scam?

go-tazz
Community Member

This guide has all the details on how to deal with this scam: Nigerian scam

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply