No contact from buyer - worried about concert ticket sold

plutobird
Community Member

Just wondering what you guys would do.

I sold a concert ticket that is to be used in the next few days. It was an e-ticket that I emailed almost straight after payment. This happened about a week ago. The buyer paid within a few days - which is great and appreciated.

I've sent the buyer several messages via email (the e-ticket) and through the ebay msgs - the msgs were confirming the location of the concert, the email address to which I sent the ticket and a follow-up confirming they'd received it. I haven't had any responses at all.

I just would like confirmation of receipt of the ticket - how do you think I should go about getting that? I'd hate to get an email the next day telling me they never got the ticket, when I could've used it myself and refunded them the money paid.

The buyer's feedback is around the early 30 mark and has been sporadic over the last couple of years. All of it is positive.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

not much we can add really.  You have broken ebay rules by selling an eticket, when electronic downloads are not allowed on ebay australia, so if the buyer puts in a paypal claim for item not received they'll get their $ back and you 'll loose the money.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Digitally Delivered Goods

There's the link to what Putmney has pointed out to you.

The buyer has paid, my guess is if they hadn't received the item they would have contacted you by now.

Best you cross your fingers though and hope that they don't go to the concert and then claim they never received it, because as Putney has said, you have no protection, and by trying to prove delivery you will have to own up to breaching eBay's Policies. I'm not sure how eBay handles reasoning such as "I didn't know about that rule", but I know that in law it is irrelevant.

I know that there are lots of rules etc to wade through and understand when selling on eBay, but they are there for you to find and become familiar with. Unfortunately a fair few people make these kinds of mistakes, simply because they "didn't know".

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
How about you just print the eticket and send to them via express? Costs only $5.65. That way you haven't broken ebay's rules and you can be sure they received it. Or why don't you call your buyer to confirm?
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Not to detract from the previous poster's valid points, but transactions for digitally delivered goods are treated by PayPal the same way pick-ups are.

That is, there is no seller or buyer protection, so eBay rules aside, the same risks for either party apply. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

that's good to know, Digi, clearly I didn't. So the buyer has no protection either, in which case they can't claim and get a refund from PayPal. That's sort of a good outcome for the seller, seeing though as IMO they did not break the rule intentionally, and the customer can't make a false claim against them.

I'm wondering how PayPal would know they were electronically delivered though, unless the buyer makes the mistake of writing that in their claim?

I think the suggestion above was brilliant, would that work Digi?

Print off the ticket and express post it.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The customer may not be able to successfuly win an INR or INAD dispute, for an item sold on eBay it would depend on the listing description and/or other supporting information supplied. For any other form of dispute (i.e. CC chargeback), the seller has no defense. 

The eBay rule pertains to digitally delivered goods, though, not digital content, so if a hard copy was included with the sale, the normal rules apply. 😉

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

There ya go Pluto, that seems to be the best way forward from here then,

Print off a hard copy and get it delivered to the buyer pronto. Remember to get tracking and lodgement receipts. If it does come to a PayPal dispute, you will need to provide both of these, and proof of delivery to the person's postcode, so make sure that is also on the receipt.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

plutobird
Community Member

Thanks for all that info! I have to say that I am one of those people 'who didn't know'. I just thought sending the e-ticket would've been easier for the buyer. If I sell a ticket, it's usually a hard copy!

They've now acknowledged receipt, which is great. But again - thanks very much for all that info - if I sell anymore tix in the future, I'll certainly send them via Registered Post.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply