Not closing my store

Oh I got SO angry. I called Ebay every name under the sun. I cursed them, swore at them, and yes, I still think they are money grabbing low lifes.

BUT

There is nowhere on the internet, nowhere, that has the volume and traffic that Ebay does.  And if I close my store, list my average 100-125 goods separately, do that every 7 or 10 days (tedious) and take into account all the other fees attached to auction style listings... guess what.  It's actually marginally to keep the store running even with the fee hike.

I looked into other sites.  No traffic going through any of them.  I thought about my own website.  Too labor intensive, and too expensive... far more than it costs on Ebay.

I will just work harder, rotate my listings more, freshen things up, have regular sales, keep adding new stock.  I can make this work for me and dammit, I will. Ebay is NOT going to get the better of me.

Sleep on this people, sleep on it.  I'm soldiering on.

Take THAT Ebay. I'm not going anywhere.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Not closing my store

I meant to say... marginally cheaper. Doh. 😛

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

I reached the same conclusion for my store and I'm sure many others will too when they've cooled down a bit and done their sums.

The increase does suck, but they're not getting rid of me that easily !

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

Me neither. I didn't just spend a whole $9 on product labels so that I can brand my stuff only to have nothing available to sell / brand. :^O

I know it's not the same for everyone, but although I'm a small seller I have always approached it from a business perspective - if eBay keep making changes that either force me to grow my business or get out, I'm going to go with the first option every time, for as long as I can.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

You go girl!:^O

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

I thought about my own website.  Too labor intensive, and too expensive... far more than it costs on Ebay.

The cost of a website domain and hosting is actually not very expensive. Just an estimate but it wouldn't be more than $20 a month for excellent hosting (I think I pay $8 / month for basic setup) and at most another $20 per year for domain registration with private domain. Also most hosting will come with free email.

There are also quite a few free shopping cart systems that can be installed automatically by the hosting provider and are relatively easy to use.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

I'm not going anywhere either I will adapt and keep going, however I do feel sorry for the smaller mum and pop sellers that jumped at the chance of opening a store only to have it doubled within months,
Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

*funkyhotwheels
Community Member
I'm not going anywhere! I've got balls. If people can't afford an extra $25 then they are doing something wrong.
Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

j*oono
Community Member

Bravo Cosmogirl.  Me too for a while at least until I no longer enjoy it, because I sure as hell won't be making any money out of it :^O

Funky wheels, I can already sell more than I can make at the moment so it is not always that easy.  A little bit of pocket money was nice for a while.

Joono
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Not closing my store

Oh I got SO angry. I called Ebay every name under the sun. I cursed them, swore at them, and yes, I still think they are money grabbing low lifes.

eBay is a business and as every business they try to make as much profit as possible.  I guess you are in business for the love of it, and do not try to maximise your profits?  🙂

And, yes, they are providing excellent busy site, unmatched by anybody else.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 10 of 37
Latest reply