Not sure how to deal with a troublesome buyer...

I sold two automatic watches to this buyer for USD $70 each. After receiving the watches, he is complaining that the rotor is "too loud" and is comparing it to his expensive swiss watches which he says is much quieter. There's nothing wrong with the watch itself, its just that he doesnt like the rotor noise. Ive taken the same watches to a watchmaker before who told me that the noise was perfectly normal due to the rotor design and nothing was wrong. I discussed tt on a large watch forum and the same conclusion was reached. I've sold more than a hundred of these watches and while a few have told me that the rotor was louder than normal, they had no problems with it after it was on the wrist as they couldn't hear it anyway.

The buyer is now asking for either a full refund or a partial refund in which he will keep the watch and i pay to have it "fixed" as he claims that his local watchmaker has confirmed that the watch shouldnt be making this much noise.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this situation? I'm pretty sure he will not be willing to pay return postage to ship it back to me...(Despite it being stated as the returns policy on the listing)

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

No do not refund him unless he returns the watches. If he opens a not as described claim with PayPal that is exactly what he will be told to do. Don't be suckered into refunding and him keeping the watches. Tell him to open a PayPal dispute.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@jun_watarase wrote:

Ive taken the same watches to a watchmaker before who told me that the noise was perfectly normal due to the rotor design and nothing was wrong. I discussed tt on a large watch forum and the same conclusion was reached.

As you have had the same watches checked for faults, and discussed it with others, then from your post it does seem that you were aware of the louder than usual rotor sounds that this model watch makes and at some point appear to even had concerns about this yourself ? 

Perhaps the buyer is not so much troublesome, but simply concerned about the unusual watch noise. 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Its fine to be concerned, but hes insisting something is wrong with it and wants a refund.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

As you have a 30 day money back return policy just email the buyer and say if they are unhappy with their purchase then please return them for a refund as per your return policy. Provide them with your address details and wait for them to be returned.

Just keep the message brief and straight to the point.

Don't encourage them to go through paypal as that could result in a defect on your ratings which is not something you would want.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

The system of 'defect ratings' is certainly interesting. So far I have an 'item not as described' because the item was too clean. So far I have 'an item not received' for an item purchased here on 16/7 AEST - by a buyer in CHILE who then opened the case on 15/7 (Chile Time). eBay so far have refused to remove the 'defect' on the item not received in Chile on the same day it was purchased here in Aust. See it is fair, reasonable & you can really trust the system.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply