Now forced auto-relists, even when un-checked

I am starting to think that ebay has lost its mind.

Last month seemed to be one maddening new automatic, arbitrary thing after another foisted on us. Now, on the first evening of October, I've just (hopefully) finished putting right the newest blood-pressure spiking automatic rubbish.  I'm guessing by the time you're reading this, some of you will have been through something similar.

I had a large bunch of items due to finish tonight, and not set to re-list.

Imagine my bafflement when the whole lot suddenly showed up as relisted for up to 7 weeks!

After going through each of them and disabling the auto-relist box (NONE of them had this checked to begin with), I then found that in the time that I'd been doing this, ebay had taken all the items in my 'unsold' folder, and relisted them as well, with up to 7 weeks auto-relists (I'd checked this folder before I started correcting these relists, and it had been undisturbed)

These were sitting there unsold for a reason. I was waiting for the weekend, when their unlimited $1 maximum fee offer would presumably roll around again.  I make it a point nowadays only to list things on weekdays whose item price + postage were under $10, and would therefore not exceed $1 in fees. Now everything is up willy-nilly, and all finishing the same night - something else which I try to avoid if I can. If you want to pull the weekend offers, fair enough - but leave us to decide when to relist. What if I'd had 200 items finishing tonight, and had them suddenly relisted on a Monday - would I have been up for 160 insertion fees?

Plus - though it isn't yet showing up - I presume this will cut into the 40 regular monthly listings which I do reserve for other items, or in case they pull their weekend offers.

And that still isn't all. When checking my items finishing over the next few days I found that ebay had applied the auto-relist option retrospectively to these, too - at least to about 75% of them, for no reason I can discern - for periods of either 7, 8 or 9 weeks (again, who knows why?)

I thought I could manage to peruse my listings regularly, checking for arbitrarily enforced 'best offers', but now I apparently have no control over when or even if my items are going to be relisted!

What the hell is next? Are they going to go through my drafts and finish them off??!!

EBAY - I don't have time to list, package and post stuff - AND CONSTANTLY MONITOR AND CORRECT YOUR ALTERATIONS!

Seriously, this is NUTS!

I may as well write this here, because trying to communicate anything of this complexity to one of your 'team mates' or whatever you call them, is virtually the definition of an excerise in futility.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lupercal, you could try contacting eBay via the Have Us Call You link, and relating your experience, asking for an assurance that it won't happen again, and also asking that this won't affect your free listings etc.

If you do, remember to record the call (with the CS rep's permission at the start), and even if you're recording it, take notes.

It is certainly a maddening thing to happen; others have related similar experiences of late.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Hi. Alas, after three long phone calls over the previous problems, which I'll simply describe as frustrating, I think the outcome of any further calls is likely to be dangerous to my blood pressure. However I suppose I'm going to have to try it, as I don't see why I should have to pay higher weekday final value fees on things I was deliberately trying not to list on a weekday. Apart from anything else.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If you hadn't worked it out, where I was talking about '7 weeks' and '9 weeks' in that original post, I'd meant to say 'relist up to 7 times' or 'up to 9 times'

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I may as well write this here, because trying to communicate anything of this complexity to one of your 'team mates' or whatever you call them, is virtually the definition of an excerise in futility.

We are just members like yourself and ebay staff don't monitor the boards-not what you want to hear

I'm guessing.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

If you are eligible, all listings now have the option of 8 relists.

You will need to keep a check on them as they go unsold. Some don't show relists in the dropdown, but will have up to 8 showing within the listing.

This came into effect in July.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

It never happened to me until yesterday.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about 7, 8 or 9 relists being an option, or even about it being a default which has to be unchecked. I'm talking about ebay taking items which have already been listed with this option disabled, and turning it on, with no notification.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply