OMG, going around in circles trying to edit

Is anyone else having issue trying to edit their listings?

I know that Ebay is requiring better item specifics in September and I got an email today saying that I have "undefined listings missing item specifics". I'm usually pretty fastidious with my listings and adding in item specifics especially where they are noted with a little asterisk in the listing, so who the heck even knows what the final goalposts are going to be.

Anyway, I chose one of my cushion cover listings, opened it to see what "recommendations" it has and it tells me I need to update one of the item specifics (product type). Now bear in mind that this recommendation does not fall under the "Required" or "Recommended" sections of the listing, just under "Additional".

I accept the recommendation, save it, then exit. Then I go back into the listing editor and although the recommendation is now showing, it STILL says I need to update the product type! No matter how many times I accept, save, close and reopen, the message still pops up.

I've attached an image.

I'm getting pretty irritated to say the least and I sure don't know which "undefined listings" Ebay is even referring to in it's message. I have over 400 listings, and even when I put them through the bulk editor, there are no red flags for item specifics.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Is anyone else having issue trying to edit their listings?

I know that Ebay is requiring better item specifics in September and I got an email today saying that I have "undefined listings missing item specifics". I'm usually pretty fastidious with my listings and adding in item specifics especially where they are noted with a little asterisk in the listing, so who the heck even knows what the final goalposts are going to be.

Anyway, I chose one of my cushion cover listings, opened it to see what "recommendations" it has and it tells me I need to update one of the item specifics (product type). Now bear in mind that this recommendation does not fall under the "Required" or "Recommended" sections of the listing, just under "Additional".

I accept the recommendation, save it, then exit. Then I go back into the listing editor and although the recommendation is now showing, it STILL says I need to update the product type! No matter how many times I accept, save, close and reopen, the message still pops up.

I'm getting pretty irritated to say the least and I sure don't know which "undefined listings" Ebay is even referring to in it's message. I have over 400 listings, and even when I put them through the bulk editor, there are no red flags for item specifics.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I think this email has been sent out to some sellers who don't even list in the affected categories (it will likely expand to all categories eventually, though).

I'm not sure about the editing issue, unfortunately.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

When I check the list for cushions, the following specifics are flagged:

Brand Required
Colour Recommended
MPN Recommended
Material Recommended
Type Required

So as long as you have those two items, you should be fine and I notice in your screenshot that you do.

The only thing I can really think is maybe remove the circled specific, save, close, re-open and if it still suggests it, try adding it again.

Also, it might be that you only say "cushions", not "cushions, decorative pillows"

If neither of those work, you have me stumped.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks Purplelemon.

I definitely have all those filled out.

The weird thing is that although the recomendation asks for "Cushions, decorative pillows", when I accept it, it actually auto-fills in just "Cushions" as per the screen grab.

Definitely frustrating - it might be some of the craft listings that are causing an issue, not necesssarily the cushion covers.

As it is almost impossible to tell, I'll just have to leave things as they are for now.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I am in the same boat. I somehow missed that clothing has some new requirements, so I am currently procrastinating since I have almost a thousand items to check/update. Maybe I will sign up for that free trial they are pushing in the email. Either that or just wait and see which ones don't relist.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Ouch, a thousand listings is pretty hectic.

I might also look at that free trial - although sometimes it can be hard to extract yourself from some of these things once you're signed up.

As you say, the other option is to see what doesn't relist after the cut off date and then fix those up. I'm a bit less keen to do that though as some of my most popular items have over 100 watchers and multiple repeat buyers on them, which has built up over time, so I'm pretty reluctant to lose that and start those listings over again.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I updated 1500 book listings to the new categories in a month.

Individually. It was just a matter of editing anything ending on that particular day. Roughly 50. At about a minute per that added up to almost an hour a day. Whilst I could have spent the time more productively, I just did it in between doing other stuff.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply