Old seller, making a small scale return to selling .. Postage/Returns/Restocking fee?

Hi there!

Trying to get my head around the new ebay and have started reading some of the new policies.

As I understand it, eBay is strongly encouraging listings with "free" postage: i.e. postage included in the price. If I don't do this, search visibility may suffer.

I've also read something about it being desirable to offer a 30 day money back guarantee (or search may suffer? Not sure on this, and can't find the same page again!)

So, if I do both the above. "Free" post, and change of mind guarantee. I could then be out of pocket postage through no fault of my own.

Now, as I understand things, I couldn't claim in my return policy that $X postage will be deducted from change of mind returns as I've already listed with magical "free" postage provided by the magical man, from Happy Land, who lives in a gumdrop house on Lolly Pop Lane.

However, I appears it would be ok to recoup postage in the form of a restocking fee?

From the "returns" drop down: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-practices.html

"If you charge a restocking fee for returns, eBay recommends that you only ask for a reasonable amount"

Is there any unwritten rule clarifying this? Often in the past "eBay recommends" meant "eBay commands or we'll delete your listing"

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Old seller, making a small scale return to selling .. Postage/Returns/Restocking fee?

If a buyer wants to return the item and get their money back within the 30 days ( or what ever the time limit is a seller might have) the buyer pays for the return postage.
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I was unclear, but I wasn't referring to return postage, but the "free" postage that I paid to send the item in the first place, that I wouldn't wish to refund should they return for a change of mind.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If you don't want to refund an included postage fee with change of mind returns then you must make it clear in your refund policy that the refund will be minus $XX, you can call it a restocking fee if you wish.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I didn't think of that. I am used to selling with separate postage cost.
I think you would have to refund it all. If offering a 30 day money back guarantee . Price paid doesn't have a postage component when it includes 'free' postage.

Do you want to be a top rated seller?

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/ebay_for_business/top_rated

Other more experienced sellers may reply here soon.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

This is more along the lines of what you are thinking of.

What to do
Specify if items can be returned
If you accept returns, you must specify:
If there are item conditions required for return, and clearly state those conditions
The time period in which a buyer must notify you about a return
How the refund is issued
Who pays for return postage
The restocking fee, if any

About restocking fees
If you charge a restocking fee for returns, eBay recommends that you only ask for a reasonable amount
You shouldn't charge restocking fees for items returned due to damage, defects or not-as-described in the listing
Being upfront about returns and restocking fees should encourage buyers to resolve potential issues before they become bigger problems

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-practices.html

If a the postage cost built in an item was $12-$15+ - would that be acceptable as a reasonable amount for restocking fee?
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

you can also exclude some returns such as for change of mind, I think.

Digi is the expert on that.

The 30 days only has to be for that required by legislation ie not fit for purpose, not as described.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

The 30 day money back refund is for change of mind.
If they wanted to change size etc, that is not requesting money back.

Faulty items are eligible for return ( according to the law) even if the seller has a no return policy.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

From the link above

You're required to specify your return policy in your listings.
If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including when they change their mind about a purchase. However, you can specify the conditions required for return – for example, if an item must be unused, unopened, or in original packaging.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Refunds by law
In Australia, consumers have a legal right to obtain a refund from a business for goods purchased if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose or don't match description. Learn more about returns policies.
You're not allowed to say things like 'no refunds' and 'I only accept refunds for faulty products within 3 days' as it is confusing for buyers and may not be an adequate disclosure of buyer's rights in Australia. For example under Australian Law faulty goods can be returned within a reasonable period of time from purchase and 3 days is unlikely to be reasonable.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply