Our First Return Request

We have just received our first formal return request under these confounded new rules.

The buyer says that her baby came out wearing premmie size and as a result the newborn size she bought prior to the birth does not fit and will be no good for use in a photo shoot.

Of course, if we get them back in original condition we are happy to refund her original cost, but not inclined to also pay for the return postage as there is nothing actually wrong with the item per se. If the item was faulty by our doing then we would pay return postage.

Now that the buyer has made a formal request rather than sending us a message first is she obliged to use trackable postage for the return?

Otherwise she could just say she sent it and we will never receive it back. In this situation I would prefer use of trackable means. That way both of us are covered.

Any thoughts on this please?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Our First Return Request

The way I understand it also is that even tho this is simply a change of mind return request we will also suffer a defect from it. Even tho we are happy to accept the return and provide a refund on that basis.

You don't receive a defect for a change of mind purchase.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

clarry, my understanding of this is that you can accept or decline a return request like this - I'm sure we all recognise the the potential for upsetting a buyer if you decline, but you are not obligated to agree. I understand that you're happy to accept the return, just wanted to point out there's not auto-defect etc from eBay if you don't accept the buyer's request, it can only come from FB now (the buyer would be unlikely to be able to open or win a PP claim, they've officially acknowledged receipt and that it's as described via the return request).. 

The fact that eBay is showing that the buyer is responsible for return costs indicates that they chose a change of mind reason, so the process is largely between you and the buyer. If you're happy to accept the return, you can advise when / how and under what conditions the refund will be issued, and that you won't be liable if the items are not received back. (It is in the buyer's primary interest to register in these circumstances, because if you don't issue the refund for any reason and they ask eBay to "step in and help", they will need to prove return postage to you). 

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Our First Return Request

Won't the baby grow and soon fit the bigger size?

Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

You do not have to pay return postage costs for change of mind returns. What is in your return policy?

Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

Our return policy on the listing says that for returns the buyer pays the return postage cost.

But it does not say if/not trackable means should be used.

And yes you would think a baby might grow into it eh!?

Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

PayPal normally require returns are sent by trackable means.

But now under these rules its ebay we are dealing with not paypal.

Message 5 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

I would have thought the seller is obliged to return using tracked post as this also reduces the risk of scamming by more unscrupiluous sellers ( not yourself!)

non trackable post would be at her own risk surely

Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

It's the very same risk we take as we mail out 99.9% of our items by large letter. We sent this item out by large letter in fact so it would seem perhaps a little tough to insist on trackable means for the return and possibly might make the buyer a little peeved perhaps.

It means that when a buyer claims INR (via messaging) we simply ask a couple of pertinent questions then send out a replacement.

In this case the buyer has a FB score of around 250 and there is nothing in her FB left for others to suggest that she is a problem buyer.

And in the ebay return message the language from the buyer is very calm.

So there are no alarm bells ringing for me.

Just trying to learn how to deal with these new rules and cover ourselves really.

Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

ITS A SCAM AND EBAY WILL MAKE YOU PAY THEM BACK ALL THE FUNDS,
WELCOME TO THE NEW SCAMBAY ITS HAPPENED TO ME TWICE ALREADY................. 

Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

Well in the message we received from ebay titled RETURN REQUEST there is some info about the transaction.

I just noticed that right in there it says the buyer is responsible for return postage. This is in line with our listing policy.

I am just in two minds as to if/not we should insist on trackable means.

Are you saying that in your case even tho the buyer is responsible for the return postage that ebay just forcibly refund the buyer everything including the return postage no matter what? If that's true then to insist on trackable return postage just means we will end up having to refund more.

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

Our First Return Request

The policy states that if the item isn't as described or the buyer doesn't receive the item then the buyer gets all their money back so for change of mind the buyer needs to pay for return and if paid via paypal then yes the buyer needs to send with tracking at their expense.

Message 10 of 39
Latest reply