Out of curiosity....

This hasn't happened to me, but I was just reading through some threads and was wondering....

Buyer wins an item for sale with option of Cash Pickup only eg: a couch

Buyer goes to get the couch, but for whatever reason, doesn't take it after inspecting it (maybe it has a rip or something)

Buyer walks away.

But......can the seller open an unpaid item dispute and ultimately ping the buyer with a strike?

Technically the buyer has not paid and nobody can prove that the buyer inspected the item and declined it.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Out of curiosity....

I don't think that would work.

If that happens, the buyer will simply pay for it via PayPal to close the dispute, then put in a claim for Item Not As Described. This would lead to you ultimately just refunding them and receiving negative feedback in the process. Plus, they'll probably get to keep the couch since it would be too expensive to return.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

I don't think you read the message correctly. Moon wondered what would happen if the buyer walked away without taking the couch, could the seller then open an UPI dispute. The buyer couldn't open up an NAD dispute because you can't with pickup items.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I don't think you read the message correctly. Moon wondered what would happen if the buyer walked away without taking the couch, could the seller then open an UPI dispute. The buyer couldn't open up an NAD dispute because you can't with pickup items.

Eh? I did read that.

I'm putting myself in the position of that potential buyer:

1) I go to pick up the couch and discover that it is poor condition. I say no thanks and walk away.

2) The very aggrigrated seller immediately goes on eBay and opens an Unpaid Item Case.

3) Very annoyed by the whole ordeal, I pay for the couch via PayPal.

4) I go back and collect the couch. I take it to my house.

5) When back home, I open an Item Not As Described case on eBay.

6) eBay rule in my favour.

7) I leave negative feedback for the seller. I get a refund from eBay. And I keep the not-as-described couch.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

The buyer couldn't open up an NAD dispute because you can't with pickup items.

Oh. I did not see that. Didn't realise that's the case... not sure why it would be either.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

tippy, I couldn't find anything relating to a UPI in the site map with pick-up items, so I guess technically a seller could open a UPI but a call to eBay by the buyer explaining that the pick-up item was NAD should blow the dispute out of the water.......willy_nilly.gif

Spoiler
Thanks for opening a can of worms moon....................true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

Okay. I have absolutely no idea why you wouldn't be able to claim INAD for pick-up only items, but let's say that this in fact the case, you still wouldn't get off scott free as a seller.

There will be messages in the eBay system showing communication between the seller and buyer, which the buyer could use as proof that they did come over. Of course, the seller could argue that they never turned up despite giving out his/her address, however, the risk is pretty high. I would suspect that the buyer could report the seller for Non-Performance. And if the item is low value, the buyer could still pay via PayPal and leave negative feedback out of spite.

For the seller, I'd reckon that it would better to cut the losses (so to speak) and just accept having to pay a FVF on an item that never ended up being paid for.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

@moonandstarsshop wrote:

This hasn't happened to me, but I was just reading through some threads and was wondering....

Buyer wins an item for sale with option of Cash Pickup only eg: a couch

Buyer goes to get the couch, but for whatever reason, doesn't take it after inspecting it (maybe it has a rip or something)

Buyer walks away.

But......can the seller open an unpaid item dispute and ultimately ping the buyer with a strike?

Technically the buyer has not paid and nobody can prove that the buyer inspected the item and declined it.

I think that if the buyer contacts eBay and outlines (in a coherent manner) the reasons for not paying then the strike would be removed so long as they do not have a history of non-payment.  The wording eBay use in their reply to the request is "we have it removed under our one time courtesy removal since it was you first unpaid item record".  I know this from my experience on another ID where I had a valid reason for not paying.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

@justajunk wrote:

Okay. I have absolutely no idea why you wouldn't be able to claim INAD for pick-up only items, but let's say that this in fact the case, you still wouldn't get off scott free as a seller.

There will be messages in the eBay system showing communication between the seller and buyer, which the buyer could use as proof that they did come over. Of course, the seller could argue that they never turned up despite giving out his/her address, however, the risk is pretty high. I would suspect that the buyer could report the seller for Non-Performance. And if the item is low value, the buyer could still pay via PayPal and leave negative feedback out of spite.

For the seller, I'd reckon that it would better to cut the losses (so to speak) and just accept having to pay a FVF on an item that never ended up being paid for.

PayPal rules for buyer and seller protection do not cover items that are picked up, or items that are hand delivered.  There is no "let's say that this in fact the case" about it, it is a fact written in PayPal policy.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Out of curiosity....

to settle this once and for all, it can all be found here https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#int_Schedule_1

I did some screengrabs to put here

NO SELLER PROTECTION FOR PICKUP ITEMS SCREENGRAB

seller pickup.JPG

NO BUYER PROTECTION FOR PICKUP ITEMS SCREENGRAB

buyer pickup 1.JPG

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply