PAL region item: Buyer ignoring description

j-re-sale
Community Member

AUS to USA transaction:

Have recently sold an item (Playstation2 game) that is region-locked to PAL and this was very clearly detailed in the title and description for the item.

The buyer is now claiming faulty product, as it does not function on their assumed alternate-region console.

I personally tested the product (disc/gameplay) prior to shipping the item, knowing it was in working condition.

I have sold multiple items of similar status without any issues or negative feedback prior to this.

With funds on hold and no immediate support from eBay as a seller, how would one handle this dilemma?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OP,

Any time that a buyer must google for pertinent information that is not clearly and specifically included in the listing will result in a buyer who believes the item isn’t as described.

eBay are not likely (in my opinion) to take your assertion that PAL is Region 4; it’s not the case and the buyer had some reason to think that the DVD might be multi-zone. (Especially if you listed this as available internationally.) Mind you, I think the buyer should have checked with you beforehand… but it is amazing how many Americans don’t really think about disc zones or regions!

Instead of your expecting that buyers google for information you didn’t include, a better approach might be that you include the information in your listing. Try to idiot-proof your listing so that you minimise the chance of a buyer assuming something about your item. Use the item specifics to state Region 4, in addition to stating PAL format.

As it stands, eBay may allow the buyer to open a SNAD request… but it’s not certain.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Australian DVDs are in PAL format and encoded for Region 4 unless stated otherwise. You may notice that some discs have multiple zones ensuring playability in other countries, providing your DVD player and television are both PAL compatible.

I had to Google ^^^^^ You did not state in your listing that it was Region 4.....is this what their 'beef' is?

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

PAL refers to Phase Alternating Line, an alternative to NTSC or SECAM encoding systems. PAL is practically simile to Region 4.

I stated twice in my listing (in title and description) that the item was PAL.

My seller info states I reside within Australia, whereas the buyer is from USA.

Again, the issue is not that I mislabelled or mislead, but the buyer making a hasty purchase without proper research or understanding of basic technology, and then shifting blame to me for their own blatant incompetence when shopping online.

You yourself Google'd it and came to an affirming answer, which is a fitting example of what the buyer simply needed to do before committing to the purchase.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Well.....then it's 'buyer remorse'....they did not do due diligence.

Have they lodged a 'claim' or just messaged you?

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

"buyer's remorse" INDEED

They initially lodged a claim on 02 Feb of late delivery hoping it would arrive for a birthday (again, shipping from AUS to USA) and it arrived 2 weeks later (due 25th Jan, arrived 7th Feb).

Upon receiving the item, a PAL one at that, they could not get it to function on their console and are now claiming to me that it is an overall faulty product and asking for a refund which I declined for obvious reasons.

I tested the disc prior to shipping it myself.

They have since prolonged the initial claim of the item having not arrived - a blatant lie.

They have, in true hubris, sent me screenshots of the item in their possession (displaying how it "doesn't work" on their console), which I have screenshotted for evidence should they choose to continue their petty acts.

I have now also lodged my own complaint of the buyer, which is getting traction.

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

OP,

Any time that a buyer must google for pertinent information that is not clearly and specifically included in the listing will result in a buyer who believes the item isn’t as described.

eBay are not likely (in my opinion) to take your assertion that PAL is Region 4; it’s not the case and the buyer had some reason to think that the DVD might be multi-zone. (Especially if you listed this as available internationally.) Mind you, I think the buyer should have checked with you beforehand… but it is amazing how many Americans don’t really think about disc zones or regions!

Instead of your expecting that buyers google for information you didn’t include, a better approach might be that you include the information in your listing. Try to idiot-proof your listing so that you minimise the chance of a buyer assuming something about your item. Use the item specifics to state Region 4, in addition to stating PAL format.

As it stands, eBay may allow the buyer to open a SNAD request… but it’s not certain.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Just politely reminding again for the unteenth time that I clearly stated that the item was PAL; I stated it twice in the item title and description; it is clearly stated on the listing AND seller info that the item was shipping from Australia.

If you don't recognize the term PAL but can't think critically enough to research it, then kudos to all the money lost acting that way.

The buyer is also now choosing to lie by claiming the item has still not arrived, which it has and I have proof of, which should speak measures of the buyer's character.

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

continue on with your correspondence with eBay.....buyer can re-sell....they made the error...good luck...let us know how it goes

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

The buyer obviously has more than one 'issue' if they are still pretending it has not arrived if they have sent you screenshots of the item not working

Maybe they are 'trying it on' on another seller besides yourself and are getting their cons mixed up 

Either way, what a piece of work 

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Do not name and shame - not good.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply