Parcel Tracking Labels on Letters

Good Day everyone,

So I purchased an item last week on Ebay from a seller in Melbourne. I got the package last Monday and was surprised it was in a padded bag with $2 stamps on it. From my knowledge, it is the stamp cost for a large letter. However, on the side of it, I see a "Parcel Post" Tracking label. I thought maybe the seller just placed it there as a dummy label but when I typed in the tracking, it was actually active. The item I bought was cheap so I don't think the seller would spend extra on sending it through parcel.

What's the go with these? Can those labels be used for letters? Or could it be the seller is well connected with a LPO so they are able to let it pass? 

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I dunno, but i got the same thing from a seller (parcel tracking number label on large letter)
Ive asked them how they came across them.
Be interesting when (if) i get a reply
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I speculate that the sender may end up with an unpaid post bill from AP unless they purchased additonal services such as registered or parcel service when they lodged article and the relevant stickers have fallen off ?

Where the scans recieved may indicate more of the story.

Was the scan on lodgement ?

At the sorting facility ?

On delivery ?

Or all of the above ?

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@tomtek_outdoors wrote:

Can those labels be used for letters? 

In a word, no... sorry. 

Any seller that gets away with it is basically doing just that (getting away with it, for now - some of them may be receiving underpaid mail notices, as well). 

A post office that accepts a letter with a parcel tracking label on it can actually get into trouble, and if dropped into a street box instead, there's no guarantee the tracking number will be scanned (in fact, in some cases, if activated, it will be deactivated if it crosses the path of someone who knows that they're not supposed to be used that way).

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@tomtek_outdoors wrote:

Can those labels be used for letters? 

In a word, no... sorry. 

Any seller that gets away with it is basically doing just that (getting away with it, for now - some of them may be receiving underpaid mail notices, as well). 

A post office that accepts a letter with a parcel tracking label on it can actually get into trouble, and if dropped into a street box instead, there's no guarantee the tracking number will be scanned (in fact, in some cases, if activated, it will be deactivated if it crosses the path of someone who knows that they're not supposed to be used that way).

Wow, i thought it could be used, only because my post master is really strict with items that goes through my local po office. 

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

You can buy these labels from ebay, but my understanding is that you are not allowed to use them for letters, only parcels. I think they're just used for adding tracking to parcels paid for with stamps.

I would say the seller bought a roll of 100 for $15 and just sticks them on every letter to avoid INR cases. Perhaps the postal workers don't realise they're not valid for letters and just scan them anyway.

The man at the post office said letter tracking can only be obtained by registering or using express.

Was it recent tracking? Did the tracking actually show delivery to your area? If so, I'm bemused.

Other theory is it's recycled.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

I speculate that the sender may end up with an unpaid post bill from AP unless they purchased additonal services such as registered or parcel service when they lodged article and the relevant stickers have fallen off ?

Where the scans recieved may indicate more of the story.

Was the scan on lodgement ?

At the sorting facility ?

On delivery ?

Or all of the above ?

The stamps were franked so I assume it has been received by a post office. 

Based on the tracking details, it actually was scanned by the LPO, In-transit and delivery.

I have a scanned picture of it which I can post here now. I'll just black out some personal info. Will that be alright or is it against policy?

I won't remove the tracking number so you guys can double check as well.

The return address is a PO box with the same postcode so I assume it is the same LPO.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I'd be interested to see it.

I have posted tracking numbers with no probs including screen shots of tracking number and history n last couple of days.

Just triple check that the addressee details are blacked out.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@shiver_me_shrimp wrote:

You can buy these labels from ebay, but my understanding is that you are not allowed to use them for letters, only parcels. I think they're just used for adding tracking to parcels paid for with stamps.

I would say the seller bought a roll of 100 for $15 and just sticks them on every letter to avoid INR cases. Perhaps the postal workers don't realise they're not valid for letters and just scan them anyway.

The man at the post office said letter tracking can only be obtained by registering or using express.

Was it recent tracking? Did the tracking actually show delivery to your area? If so, I'm bemused.

Other theory is it's recycled.

Tracking is current. It was sent the day I purchased one.

I actually thought that might be a good idea to deter those INR cases. I don't mind buying them for 100x for $15 and stick it to my letters just to spook them scammers. If I get a fine from Auspost however, that would defy the benefits of doing it.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Please see attached photo.

You can check the tracking number. It is still current.

Item was bought on Sunday, shipped on Monday.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply