Partial refund after refund claim

Hi there, try to find answr but can't..buyer has made claim for returning items, but is happy with partial refund now. The claim is made, and she doesn't seem to want to get rd of claim so I can refund, thoughtnitmwould be more straight forward, but she doesn't seem willing to drop claim first. So how I go about partial refund? Will ebay accept this if buyer has made refund claim?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I assume the dispute was through ebay?
If so part refund does not enter into the return process.
The only way for part refund is to just do it in the hopes the buyer does not escalate case and gets refunded again, im not shure if buyer has option to close case on a return
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Sign in to your paypal account and find the relevant transaction, then do a partial refund from there.

If I was a buyer with a legitimate complaint I wouldn't close a case until after I'd had a promised refund. Too many sellers con buyers into closing the case on the promise of a partial refund and then they leave them high and dry.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Have you actioned an official response via the request console? eg Accepted the return?

When a request is open, and you view the request details in the resolution centre, there will be a list of options for you to choose - for an item not as described claim, the options are generally issue a full refund (without return) and the case closes, offer the buyer a partial refund (without return), accept the return, and lastly send the buyer a message.

So, if you haven't accepted the return officially, you should be able to view the request and use the 'partial refund' option. The refund should be issued and request will automatically close if the buyer formally accepts the refund amount via the case. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

allfixelectrical
Community Member

The ebay return process does not facilitate partial refunds directly for remorse returns but to ensure it goes smoothly then you need to offer the partial amount in a message to the buyer.

If the buyer responds in the return process that they are happy to accept that refund amount then supply your return address, again in a message within the return process, and ask them to return the item with tracking and supply the tracking number to you in a reply within the return process.

Then, when the item is received back by you, refund the partial amount directly from your paypal account.

That will not close the case automatically, but the message thread in the case will protect you if the buyer then tries to escalate it after receiving the partial refund and ebay will find in your favour.

The claim will eventually time out if the buyer dies not close it manually after receibing the refund.

Even if your buyer does not respond to your offer of a partial refund, you may still find that it is found in your favour if escalated simply because you have made the offer in the first place. This will only happen if it is a remorse return, however, not a NAD or SNAD return.

Do not offer the partial refund by clicking on the option in the return process unless you don't want the item back.

If the return is a NAD or SNAD return claim, and you are happy to partially refund as compensation without receiving the item back, then you can offer the partial refund by clicking on the option in the return process but I would still make the offer initially in a message within the return process first so that ebay can see that you have been communicating with the buyer.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply