Paypal & Posting Overseas

radiant.ebony
Community Member

As I understand it, if an Australian buyer pays with Paypal and an INR dispute is raised I need to provide proof of posting.

Yet if I send to the US and an INR dispute is raised is it the same, or is it proof of delivery? Or both?

Also, is Click and Send only for within Australia? I thought I may have read something about international, maybe in the future, but I could be wrong.

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The PayPal user agreement only mentions providing proof of posting, with no stipulations that it applies to domestic transactions only. In most other countries, PayPal require sellers to provide proof of delivery so I'm not 100% sure how a case would be dealt with, but if proof of shipping is provided, the seller should retain the funds. (Should being the operative word).

However, if a purchase is made via eBay.com (US site), or eBay UK, it will probably be eligible for eBay buyer protection, which has some significant differences to PayPal's. If someone opens a case via eBay Buyer Protection, you do need proof of delivery, plus signature on delivery for anything worth $250+. I recommend reading the information about eBay Buyer Protection : http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html/

You can use Click & Send to post items internationally. As far as I know it's the standard postage cost plus the fee for tracking, with signature on delivery an additional charge. (Domestic parcels sent with click & send - aside from the flat rate satchels and boxes - are standard postage costs for the service selected + $1.50 for tracking + $1 for signature on delivery + costs of any additional services, but I don't know if international parcels attract the same rates and I couldn't find the info on AP's site).

There is also the option of the Pack & Track satchels (for sending to the US, UK and NZ only). More info about that service here: http://auspost.com.au/internationalpost/products/track/

That service doesn't provide a signature on delivery option, though, so not recommended for anything worth $250 or more.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I have defended international INR simply by using international registered. Or Click and send signed for equiv.

Dumb thing is its not trackable on AP within Oz even though they give it a tracking number , until it reaches OS then local Postal service tracking normally picks it up.

Given chance international being not only lost but held up customs etc, I wouldnt use less. Especially when the $$ risked is higher due to postal cost.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

radiant.ebony
Community Member

Thanks, digital. I list only on eBay AU and, as a buyer buy from within the same site as well.

Its been years since my last INR from a buyer so I don't remember what I had to do back then. Things may have changed since then as well.

The reason for the question was I have a buyer at the moment (on my selling ID) who bid knowing full well what the postage cost was, yet after auction complained and wanted something cheaper, because, "It only costs $3 to send to Australia." Yes, but I don't live in the US ๐Ÿ˜

Pity he didn't ask before bidding. It was a 10-day auction and he bid on day 1 of listing! X-(

The item started, and ultimately ended, at $49.95 and was going to go International Registered Post @ $13.20 - it's the only option for the US - letter sized with signature and proof of postage. Occasionally it may get scanned along the way and be viewable on the USPS site.

I wanted at least some form of delivery confirmation, at least, if I could find a cheaper option.

I signed up for Click and Send (finally) and found the international bit. Good to know there's that, for future auctions ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, thanks for the informative posts. Hopefully this guy is a one-off. I haven't had one like him before and would hope that others have more common sense before trying the same thing.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

radiant.ebony
Community Member

I have defended international INR simply by using international registered. Or Click and send signed for equiv.

That's good to know. Though most of the stuff I send overseas is of the large letter size, or the DL sized envelopes.

From what I could gather on Click and Send it's mainly parcels.

When I was looking earlier today Airmail to the US was $10.50, I can't remember what Registered was on top of that. But it started to work out dearer than the prepaid Registered Post envelope.

But, I'll definitely think about using C&S for the listings I've had to restrict to Australia Only due to weight and postage cost. It may work out cheaper than the other way, plus there's the tracking ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply