Paypal extending dispute time in UK to 180 days

Just saw this issue come up on the Powersellers Board and thought it worth drawing it to the attention of those that don't visit the PS Board.

People who pay for services and digital goods using PayPal will soon enjoy better protection as part of a shake-up that will also see customers given much more time to report a dispute.

In response to feedback – and criticism from some quarters – PayPal is extending its UK "buyer protection" to cover services, digital goods, travel tickets and other "intangible" items. From 17 June, it will reimburse UK buyers if they do not receive these items or services, or if they don't match the seller's description.

PayPal's buyer protection has covered physical goods for many years, and the new rules mean this is being extended to a variety of non-physical items, ranging from music downloads and airline tickets to car rental and holidays.

From the same date, PayPal is also extending the amount of time buyers who encounter a problem have to report a dispute, from 45 to 180 days.

...The new rules apply to people with a UK PayPal account who buy from sellers in the UK and overseas.
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. 

No other words at this stage.

No, wait, one more....

Wow. o_O

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

From ecommercebytes:

As for PayPal, a spokesperson told EcommerceBytes, "PayPal is constantly looking for new ways to make the shopping experience even safer, faster and more secure for people around the world. We are currently rolling out new protections for buyers in the U.K. when they use PayPal to purchase digital or intangible goods. If our customers value and benefit from these new protections we may consider extending this program to other markets."

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Why not extend the protection to 100 years?

Given that used goods (possibly still a majority of items listed) have no implicit warranties. So why should Paypal not provide one?

If eBay keep this carp up they may find the protection of buyers to be a diminishing return. Given the only sellers they will have left will be either shonks or big business. I'll guess they want the big business, but will also guess they'll get the shonks. And big business will soon bail out if the restrictions  become ridiculous. Which will leave the shonks.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

This is a major concern.

This is ringing major alarm bells with me.

Think about growing trends.

1 buyers not leaving feedback.

2 Paypal refunding money without proof of damaged items, items not as described.

3 Lowered standards of safe delivery.

So we send off an item in good faith in good condition and in good time.

The buyer receives the item but does not acknowledge it.

Five months later they claim the item did not arrive, was faulty, not as described.

If Ebay continue their current "the customer is always truthful and correct" program will we be forced to refund on items that have been onsold, worn out, broken through misuse.

Will the customers be required to provide proof of damage when it arrives, be required to return the item at their cost?

Will customers who acknowledge receipt of goods be able to make claims?

will the wedding dress be returned with a mass of damage and stains six months after the wedding?

Will a dress be returned five months after the buyer gets pregnant?

Will I need to keep funds in my paypal account for six months "just in case" there is a claim against me in six months time.

Paypal have already done this to people I know and it places a big strain on any business.

Will Ebay and Paypal wait for six months for us to pay our fees?

Please tell me I am just having a nightmare and it will be better in the morning when I wake up.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I just went to the original posters link.

In the comments underneath the article was what I consider to be a very relevant answer.

Instead of reading UK just replace it with Australia. I think all applies much the same way.

Here is the response.

PhilipCohen

PayPal Merchants: Plan For The Inevitable …

Most eBay merchants will have at least two eBay accounts: one for selling and one for buying; likewise, all “PreyPal” users should have two "PreyPal" accounts: one to use when buying, attached to a credit card only (for the greater, and statutory, security offered by the credit card), and one for selling, attached to a bank account only with all receipts to be transferred automatically and promptly to that bank account.

Under no circumstances should anyone—particularly an eBay merchant—leave funds “on deposit” in eBay’s clunky, unlicensed, virtually unregulated, non-FDIC-insured, “pretend bank”, or allow “PreyPal” to draw funds directly from their real bank account—for any reason; if there is a dispute, particularly if you are the seller, you will find that your money will have gone “poof” and, if you read their thousand-page terms of business, you will find that you have no recourse short of getting big media to publicize the matter or, ultimately, possibly the courts. Regardless, if, as a merchant, you have a problem with “PreyPal”, with their atrocious (lack of) customer support, it could well be a business-threatening problem …

“PreyPal”, is not a licensed bank, it’s “a merchant of sorts” (PayPal’s own words), in the main, doing little more than operating a retail bank credit card merchant account (with the infamous Wells Fargo Bank), and, as such, “PreyPal” has to accept the terms of business of the credit card companies, and therein lays your only guarantee, as a payer, in the event of any dispute, of a fair mediation process—from MasterCard/Visa—not from the clunky “PreyPal” …

PayPal: Payment Transaction Dispute Moderation:
Non-defense of credit card charge-backs …

The credit card transaction dispute moderation process provided by the real banks is fair and balanced and probably the best we can ever expect to get; I have experienced such moderation as both buyer and business seller and have no complaints. The problem for a seller with a credit card charge-back via “PreyPal” (and possibly via any of the other payments pretenders who operate, like “PreyPal”, as little more than credit card merchants with their own real bank) is that, unlike the credit card companies, “PreyPal” will not invest in the human resources necessary to defend such a charge-back by a buyer—even if it is defensible; they will simply deal with the matter in the most cost effective way for them, and that is to acquiesce to the chargeback and let the payee carry the can. The reality is, anyone that accepts payments via “PreyPal” does so at their peril …

I would opine that this most unprofessional situation has been brought about by the credit card companies putting “PreyPal” on notice that they are not happy with the increasing amount of transaction dispute moderation work that “PreyPal” has been creating for them with the apparently increasing number of charge-backs (no doubt principally eBay-transaction related) being instigated by payers on PayPal’s merchant account with Wells Fargo; for the same reason “PreyPal” has been much more aggressive with holds (sometimes lengthy) on payee’s funds, in anticipation of any possible charge-backs …

Regardless, the lesson is, if you are a buyer using “PreyPal”, never allow “PreyPal” to access your funds by direct debit from your bank account; if you do, you have no protection at all from “PreyPal”; if you are a seller, all you can initially do is cross your fingers …

When this arrives here I will definitely be gone.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@haolove13 wrote:

I just went to the original posters link.

In the comments underneath the article was what I consider to be a very relevant answer.

Instead of reading UK just replace it with Australia. I think all applies much the same way.

do the UK have a Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) that can intervene when a seller has a problem with PayPal?  Many Australian board posters have found that the FOS have been able to help them.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Okay I just reread cats' post and it is, for the nonce, for digital or intangible goods.

So it shouldn't apply here as we are not allowed to sell digital or intangible goods.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Sir Sales, yes, the U.K. has a service like ours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
Digital goods are not permitted on eBay.

Intangible goods makes no sense either as an item posted is definitely tangible.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply