Pending Paypal Fee Increase ???

sydney_chainsaw_engineering
Community Member

Chatting with a long time supplier in the US yesterday and he was telling me of a Discussion Board thread that leaked proposed Paypal transaction fee hikes.

Remember this was in the USA, so it may not be applicable in Australia, however both eBay and Paypal have a savage reputation for milking a dry udder, so there is every likelihood any fee rise would be a worldwide affair.

Apparently the topic was "shut down" within 15 minutes, but not before thousands of views.

Crux of the changes were 2.5% for eBay transactions up to $50, then 2.7% for transactions $51 to $100, then 3% for all transactions $101 and above. For non eBay transactions a flat fee of 3.5% will be charged regardless of dollar value.

GET THIS...the sweetener being Paypal were going to drop the current 40 cent fee that is presently charged in addition to the % fee for transactions.

I've done some Google searches looking for more info, however can't find too much specific apart from general we-hate-Paypal threads.

Anybody heard anything about these pending Paypal increases ?????

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Try the college dream catcher network blogs.

was a business model being considered to prop up flagging income. Plan got leaked and Paypal shelved it ASAP fearing a backlash bigger than Ben Hurr.

apparently it was Shelved, not killed off completely.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Geeeeze what a fired up bunch, just reading some of the threads on dreamcatcher would make satan more popular than PayPal.

what was very interesting was the sub topic on business brokers refusing to broker any eBay business. Looks like it was a big money spinner starting up an eBay store, building it up, then selling it through a business broker for big $$$$$$ profits.

nowdays selling an eBay store is about as popular as treading in dog poo !

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Ive had a paypal a/c for about 12 years (long before ebay owned it), and I can only recall one fee hike in those 12 years so saying Paypal 'milk the udder dry' is really overstating the business ethic of a good money handling business

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Hey don't shoot the messenger....everybody has a right to their views.

you make Absolutely Love Paypal putney32, but a more shady financial institution I can't think of. If my bank charged fees like PayPal they would be ditched tomorrow, but I like all sellers are forced to utilise their super expensive services without option.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

no numpties, you are not forced to utilise their service

you can, as a seller, go to your own Bank and set up a Credit Card Merchant Facility so you can accept the payments from your buyers yourself without paying PayPal fees.  of course, you bank will charge a lot more per annum than you'll every pay with PayPal but it could make you feel better about not paying that fee to PayPal.

simple, if you dont want to accept Paypal, use your own card facility or use PayMate (both are approved by ebay )

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is hardly fair to compare paypal to a bank....they are not a bank and make no pretense of being one.

I can assure you that my bank charges me a lot more to make a payment to an overseas seller than paypal does....and that is the only service that can be compared.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

sydney_chainsaw_engineering
Community Member

This discussion has gone a bit sideways.

My question related to proposed increases, NOT attacks on other members by appears to be Pro-Paypal Supporters or Employee's.

That sort of conduct is simply not necessary.

I'm no fan of Paypay, a more questionably dishonest organisation I've never come across, however I attempted to leave my views out of this to focus upon the fee rise issue, and it would be great if others could do the same.

I'm not sure if you have an exemption Putney32 being a long time member, but for the rest of us Paypal is forced upon Sellers as a mandated form of payment type on eBay. Ebay / Paypal then prey upon peoples insecurities about being ripped off by Sellers as the marketing ploy to convince Buyers to use Paypal as the preferred payment option.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I'm not sure if you have an exemption Putney32 being a long time member, but for the rest of us Paypal is forced upon Sellers as a mandated form of payment type on eBay. Ebay / Paypal then prey upon peoples insecurities about being ripped off by Sellers as the marketing ploy to convince Buyers to use Paypal as the preferred payment option.

you are very mistaken on a few points there, but especially that PayPal is mandatory.

it is NOT, ebay allow every seller to offer EITHER....

PAYPAL

or

PAYMATE

or

their own banks MERCHANT FACILITY

there are plenty of sellers on ebay australia who do not offer Paypal, you dont need to either if you dont want to. the choice is yours.  So yes, i do have an exemption, and dont have to offer paypal if I dont want to, the same exemption every single ebay australia Seller has ... dont use paypal if you dont like it.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

If PP is considering fee increases it is no doubt thanks to the many claims by people who keep getting scammed.  Refunds for INR have to come from somewhere.  But maybe PP needs to have more stringent requirements for people to open sellers' accounts.  Or maybe their should be $ limit on each payment to a new seller. 

The problem for PP if the do increase the fees would be that more large sellers would go for the CC facility, and smaller sellers would change to Paymate.  It would be suicidal.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply