Post Office Scanner Couldn't Read Bar Code on Printed Postage Label

I'm just wondering if this is a common occurance.

I've bought postage online before from the ebay sale, printed the shipping label and it's worked fine when getting it scanned in at the post office, but yesterday, the scanner couldn't read the bar codes, so my packages were accepted, but not logged in. They scanned fine on a mobile scanner, but were not able to be logged into the system and I didn't receive a recept for lodgement.

Strangely, the system didn't recognize the item when it was coded in manually.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem, and who's problem it actually is.

I'm using an ink jet printer, I even went home and reprinted the labels at the highest resolution, but it made no difference. The fact that the mobile scanner read them makes me think the problem isn't with the print out though.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

'Scanability' of the printed labels is quite variable in my experience.  It can vary depending on the shape of the package it's attached to, the type of plastic covering it (e.g. clear packing tape, label sleeve), the type of scanner the PO has, and the pape qualityr, printer type, size, resolution of the print etc etc.

Most of my items scan without issue at my local PO, but frequently don't get scanned properly at various other stages of the sorting and delivery process. I assume they present some sort of issue to other scannes along the way and the person (or machine) gives up and just sends it on without it lodging at that particular point of its journey.

Ultimately it's only a problem if it never reaches its destination. But if it hasn't scanned through and doesn't arrive, as long as you have your physical proof of lodgement, it's Australia Post's problem - they'll either find the parcel, or if it's determined to be lost, compensate as per any insurance/extra cover that is applicable.

This is why you need to always lodge parcels at the counter and get the lodgement receipt!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

'This is why you need to always lodge parcels at the counter and get the lodgement receipt!'
Yes, this is what I was worried about, because it wouldn't scan, I didn't get a lodgement receipt. I was shown the scan on the mobile device, but wasn't given a print out. Guess I'll just hope they arrive ok.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@wears4bears wrote:
'This is why you need to always lodge parcels at the counter and get the lodgement receipt!'
Yes, this is what I was worried about, because it wouldn't scan, I didn't get a lodgement receipt. I was shown the scan on the mobile device, but wasn't given a print out. Guess I'll just hope they arrive ok.
My PO has always put the numbers in manually if there is a problem.good.gif
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

As go-tazz mentioned above, numbers can be entered manually - if the scanner won't read the barcode, insist on it being entered manually.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

UPDATE:

Well someone has eventually entered the right numbers in because the packages are showing as being in transit, so that's a relief.

Continuing the story for anyone who's interested:

Actually, the guy in the post office did attemp to enter the numbers manually, but he couldn't see them and asked me to read them out to him, I didn't have my good glasses with me and couldn't read them either. He said he had some glasses somewhere, but would have to go and look for them, and there was a line of people out the door and just him and 35 degrees heat and no air conditioning, he wanted me to wait until there was no more customers so he could search for his glasses, I decided to go home and get mine instead..... but the numbers getting entered in manually didn't work either.... so it's all still a bit of a puzzle.

Problem solved this time, but not sure what I'm going to do next time. I bought a laser printer, maybe its time to set it up.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@wears4bears wrote:

UPDATE:

Well someone has eventually entered the right numbers in because the packages are showing as being in transit, so that's a relief.

Continuing the story for anyone who's interested:

Actually, the guy in the post office did attemp to enter the numbers manually, but he couldn't see them and asked me to read them out to him, I didn't have my good glasses with me and couldn't read them either. He said he had some glasses somewhere, but would have to go and look for them, and there was a line of people out the door and just him and 35 degrees heat and no air conditioning, he wanted me to wait until there was no more customers so he could search for his glasses, I decided to go home and get mine instead..... but the numbers getting entered in manually didn't work either.... so it's all still a bit of a puzzle.

Problem solved this time, but not sure what I'm going to do next time. I bought a laser printer, maybe its time to set it up.

That means the scan done at the PO by the handheld scanner has been entered into the system. The only difference between the handheld and the computer is no lodgement receipt. It is still scanned. LPOs these days always use the handheld.

If it had already been scanned, of course entering the numbers manually afterwards wouldn't work.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I have written a ton on this issue in the Australia Post Community forums and there are lots of variables:

1. Australia Post print barcodes vertically.  Nearly every other logistics company print horizontally.  Inkjet, laser and thermal printers use horizontal print heads.  If your printer has less than 300dpi resolution, vertical barcodes will not print the caps between the bars clear enough and simply cannot be read correctly.  (Ongoing issue for years).

2. QR codes are becoming the modern defacto standard and contain far more information (spooky, spooky).  They are simpler to print and consequently higher scanning success.  The new portable 3G/4G scanners only read QR codes and will update tracking periodically, not instantly.  They are good fault tolerant devices with smart error checking software capability.

3. Desktop hand scanners and hand held items don't mix well, as they are both moving in space.  Keep one fixed and have the lens cleaned regularly.  Operator error is high.

4. Australia Post 23 digit tracking numbers only 14 of those digits are used.  Keying manually does not always work.... at times.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Yes on several occasions and its very annoying when you don't have access to a printer

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply