Postage Charges Prohobitive

I have decided it's not worth selling on Ebay anymore because the Australia Post postage costs are too high which make my items not worth the buyers effort. On top of the final fee for selling the item, ebay also charge me a percentage of the Australia Post postage costs. Sometimes the postage component is more than the item itself.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

But those charges are the same for every seller, yet buyers are still buying on-line for whatever reason.

As regards fees on postage, that has been in place for many years now and is part and parcel of selling on the platform.

Whatever platform you use to sell on there will always be some cost to you and/or the buyer, whether that is the time taken to deliver/pickup the item or the postage to send it to them.

You aren't complaining about the hold on the money from the buyer as you are seen as a "new seller" by eBay, so at least you must have researched that policy before you started selling again.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Most of my books are worth less than the postage, yet people keep on buying. Maybe they look at the overall cost. And the repeat buyers know I deliver...

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

can you not list in bulk?

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Collectors, especially of vintage items, seem happy to pay for postage if there is an item they want/need. However a lot of people are being cautious about purchasing anything apart from essentials at the moment so it is probably a case of being patient. At least having items sitting on ebay gives a chance of a sale and doesn't cost anything.

No harm in charging a postage price that ensures Aus post charge is fully covered.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay has charged a combined fee for 10+ years now. Just build it into your price.

It doesn't matter if the postage is more than the item - at the end of the day it's the buyer that's paying it, not you. I have had that happen in my store too - an overseas buyer might buy a $15 item, but it costs about $24 to send it and it doesn't stop them from purchasing.

There is another site you can also list on - I will message you.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Are you doing enough business to use Australia Post MyPost Business?  I'm at Band 4 discount (25%) which has really helped lower the cost of sending my posters around the world and make it more attractive to buyers.  Very easy to use and was simple to setup.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

It's actually not ebay's fault that Aust Post charge so much. As already mentioned, most people are still happy to pay the postage cost, because they know what it costs. I have sold $2 items with $9 postage and the buyers are happy. Maybe I'm under charging on my items!

As also mentioned, it's definitely worth looking into My Post Business. You don't have to be a registered business, anyone can sign up. It's free. If you post so many items a month, you get postage discounts, which can be passed onto the buyer if you wish. I will say though, make sure you are actually signing into My Post Business, and not just My Post. I made that mistake, and couldn't work out why I wasn't getting the discounts!

As an aside, your Fire King items are 70's, not 50's. Your tri segmented dish will be lucky to sell for that price. You can get new in box for less than that. I love the peach lustre Fire King stuff! I have way too much of it LOL.

I would swap out your main photo for one of the others. Reason being, the peach lustre stuff would lose its colour after awhile from washing and show white. Your main photo looks like that has happened due to lighting, and probably flash. Given a lot of buyers only look at the main photo, it could turn them off. I'd also mention in the listing that the appearance of white is flash/lighting related. I noticed in your second photo, the dish is actually in pretty good condition.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I think a lot depends on what you are selling and at what price.

This scenario of postage being higher than item price does give a buyer pause. This doesn't just happen on ebay. I recently had a small metal photo made, it was on special for $3. Postage added another $12.95.

The crucial factor  when this happens will be if it is an item that isn't readily available in stores for much less. In my case, $16 was still a good price.

There are ways around this. First way is to offer the item with 'free postage', so buyers don't see the breakdown.

Another way might be to offer combined postage so buyers feel they are making a bit of a saving if they buy 2 or more items.

Even on other sales sites, postage will still have to be paid, although admittedly on marketplace you might sell locally where someone wants to pick up, so the postage component doesn't come into it. But even there, a lot of people are not happy to travel far for a cheap item and some people just feel more comfortable paying for postage. It's anonymous and it is easier.

Another way is to have combined postage so if a person buys 2 or more items, they feel as if they are making a bit of a saving.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Sorry, meant to edit out last sentence as it was meant to be in middle. Time expired though

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply