Problem Buyer Opened a Refund Claim for Bogus Fault. How do I escalate the claim?

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help.

I recently sold an item that was in excellent condition with no problems at all, practically like new.

A buyer with newly created account payed late as they didn't have the money at the time of the sale, then asked questions about the item after paying for it only to recieve it and then wanted to get a partial refund and negociate for a partial refund some days later for a problem that doesn't exist physically on the item. I declined this as it was our own personal item and took very good care of it, very lightly used and knew everything about it and it worked perfectly with no problems at all. The listing description was correct with many clear large photos of the item.

Straight after this they must have spat the dummy and opened a claim for a full refund. I explained to them the same thing I did when they first wanted a partial refund but have had no reply. In the opened refund claim I uploaded a full resolution photo of the problem area where the problem doesn't exist.

I might also add that they didn't have an actual persons name for the shipping address, no phone number and it was one of those pickup points.

It seems to me that I've been targeted for a type of behavior that happens now and then when sellers want to get things much cheaper after recieving it and making up any excuse to get it cheaper. Essentially blackmail. This is the first time I've had a dud buyer like this in well over 10 years. The item was packed very well and the buyer even commented on how well it was packed.

Where do I stand on this as a seller? I don't seem to have any link to escalate the claim and have the case handled by a real person and not have the automated process refund them on the refund due date.

Now if I'd made an error in the listing description, I'm more than happy to give a partial refund or full refund but this isn't the case here.

Cheers.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Problem Buyer Opened a Refund Claim for Bogus Fault. How do I escalate the claim?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Do not even think about escalating the dispute....ebay almost always sides with the buyer.

What does the buyer say is wrong with the item?

Ask for a photo of the item.   Unless the buyer has deliberately damaged it and it is unusable I would offer a full refund on return of the item   You can then resell it.

Under no circumstances  refund without the item being returned.....and again DO NOT escalate or you will most likely lose the item and your money.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Was it on another account that you sold the item? I can't see any sold listings, just your active one.

Can I ask what the item was? Unfortunately, eBay is geared towards the buyer. If you escalate the dispute, or ignore it, eBay will close it in favour of the buyer and refund them from your PayPal without them having to return it. If you ignore it, eBay will kindly issue you with a defect. If you have only sold a few things, it could be enough to drop you to below standard.

I can only suggest that you tell the buyer that you will accept return of the item, which you will then refund after it has arrived. Sadly, it's really your only choice. Anything other than this you will lose both the item and the money. 

It doesn't matter how many photos you upload, eBay will still side with the buyer as most of the dispute process is bot generated. You could try calling eBay, or use the call me back option, but I still think that would fall on deaf ears. Certainly worth a try though. Click on help at the top or bottom of any page. Select any option that shows, and scroll to the bottom to the call us / call me back option.

Edit: too slow! Hi Lyndal 😄

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal is that really true, wow things sure have changed. I'm glad there wasn't a link to escalate the dispute.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Hi Tippy!

Unfortunately it is all too true and a real trap for sellers who are not very active and don't come to the boards too often.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

*tippy*toes* yes on another account, this account mainly used for "issues" with ebay and it members mainly from the old message board.

So that would explain why they haven't replied.

This new seller seems to know the ropes better than myself in hope that I stuff up and they get a refund and possibly the item for free. What a wonderful place Ebay has become. SCUMBAGS! I would hate to think how many sellers like myself that are unaware and have lost not only their items but their cash as well. How horrible And illegal!

So I guess they have me over a barrel with my pants down giving me ol fisteroonie with a huge smirk on their face rubbing their greedy little hands together waiting eagerly for the Jackpot to spill out.

I've gone through my buyer requirements and I'm sure there was a setting to block buyers that had a feedback of less than 5 -10. That was some years ago. Maybe I dreamed that, perhaps wishful thinking.

I'm not going to waste my time with ebay staff to be told that that's their policy. I have no time to listen to Yankee Bull**bleep** and their bias rules!

I'm glad I dropped by, lesson learned. Refund tomorrow by the look of it.

Thanks guys.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

A link should appear in 4-6 days allowing you to escalate, DO NOT be tempted to hit it. Insist on return for refund. If the buyer was hoping to get a freebie, they might just skulk off into the distance, never to be heard again. If that happens, the dispute will eventually time out.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@aussie*sellers*alliance wrote:
*tippy*toes* yes on another account, this account mainly used for "issues" with ebay and it members mainly from the old message board.

So that would explain why they haven't replied.

This new seller seems to know the ropes better than myself in hope that I stuff up and they get a refund and possibly the item for free. What a wonderful place Ebay has become. SCUMBAGS! I would hate to think how many sellers like myself that are unaware and have lost not only their items but their cash as well. How horrible And illegal!

So I guess they have me over a barrel with my pants down giving me ol fisteroonie with a huge smirk on their face rubbing their greedy little hands together waiting eagerly for the Jackpot to spill out.

I've gone through my buyer requirements and I'm sure there was a setting to block buyers that had a feedback of less than 5 -10. That was some years ago. Maybe I dreamed that, perhaps wishful thinking.

I'm not going to waste my time with ebay staff to be told that that's their policy. I have no time to listen to Yankee Bull**bleep** and their bias rules!

I'm glad I dropped by, lesson learned. Refund tomorrow by the look of it.

Thanks guys.

NO! Do not refund untilt they have sent the item back, with tracking. They have to send it within 5 days of you accepting the return.

That block you mentioned for low feedback or non verified members, was removed last year. A lot of us aren't happy about that, because we were able to block guest accounts. Now it's a free for all.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

ok *tippy*toes* that's what I meant to say. I'll message them tomorrow and ask for them to send it back and once we receive it we'll refund their money in full for the item, cheers.

It's a good thing I didn't write what I wanted to write earlier today and then escalate the claim. They would've pee'ed their pants with laughter while giving each other high fives.

ya know It was one of those buyers that you knew in the back of your mind that something wasn't right.

So it has gotten worse then by the sounds of it with ebay allowing scum through the back door, didn't think it could get any worse than what it was. I think I'll be wind things down from selling here. I don't sell much any way, just personal possessions that have accumulate over the years that no longer get used.

Thanks
ASA
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

They don't come in the back door - they waltz right in the front door, bold as brass!

I'd still try ringing ebay unless it's a fairly small sum involved. Some people have been able to get a good result, especially if the buyer has said the fault is in a particular area and you've got photos that clearly show otherwise.  A lot of people have said that you get a more intelligent person if you use the call me back option.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply