Product Identifiers ....... This is interesting

Reading the FAQs on Product Identifiers I noted the following (see bold text)

What are product identifiers?

Product identifiers include the item’s brand, manufacturer part number and Global Trade Item Number, the unique codes are typically found on labels or bar codes and used by retailers to help them keep track of and manage their stock. Sellers who use product identifiers make it easier for buyers to find what they’re looking for, both on and off eBay, as well as on mobile devices.

Most new, branded items have these identifiers. A GTIN can come in the form of a Universal Product Code (UPC), European Article Number (EAN), or International Standard Book Number (ISBN).

In which categories are product identifiers required?

If you list branded items in new or manufacturer refurbished condition in the following categories, you are required to include the items’ brands, manufacturer part numbers (MPNs), and Global Trade Item Numbers (GTINs) to complete your new listings:

Alcohol & Food
Baby
Books, Magazines
Business
Cameras
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories (Shoes only)
Computers/Tablets & Networking
Coins

Now it states a PI is required for "Shoes Only" yet when listing items, particularly via TL any Brand New item requires a PI, mor so, requesting UPC!

Just thought it was interesting to note, they can't even follow their own Policies!!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the policy states that it is not needed then just put N/A when you list.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

It looks like that's an outdated page (of which there are plenty in eBay's help pages, unfortunately), as those were all of the initial categories where product identifiers were required. It was expanded to include a lot of other categories earlier in the year, and the list now looks like this :

The categories product identifiers are required to be applied to are:

• Alcohol & Food
  • Baby
  • Books, Magazines
  • Business
  • Cameras 
  • Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
  • Computers/Tablets & Networking
  • Coins
  • Crafts
  • Dolls, Bears
  • Electronics & Home Entertainment
  • Health & Beauty
  • Home Appliances
  • Home & Garden 
  • Industrial
  • Jewellery & Watches
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Musical Instruments
  • Pet Supplies
  • Phones
  • Sporting Goods
  • Stamps
  • Toys, Hobbies
  • Travel
  • Video Games & Consoles
  • Vehicle Parts & Accessories

Note: If you list used, collectable, vintage or one-of-a-kind items, you aren't required to include product identifiers at this time.

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/news/product-identifiers

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

You can always put Does Not Apply if you don't have the information. I do this in my end as I have no time to revise all items and out the iupc on each items.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

i list mostly in toys and hobbies, so far ive been able to use the 'does not apply' option when listing new items

however my last go at relisting required me going into 'advanced listing' to tick another 'does not apply' box before i could get my items accepted.

not great ebay didnt make it obvious where the problem was when it kept rejecting my listings, had to ring customer service to get instructions where this other box was.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply