Question about seller defects

Hi there,

I have a customer who is trying to get a pair of shoes returned when they ordered the wrong measurement if I argue it and I win do I gain a seller defect even if I'm in the right?

Kindest Regards,

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As long as your listing had full and accurate sizing info included you should be OK.

Because then the return should classify as a Change Of Mind (COM) return. ie buyer remorse.

But... your returns policy also has to state "No Returns accepted".

If it does then you can refuse the return on the grounds of COM.

If you have a "returns accepted" policy then you will have to accept the COM return.

If you do accept the return for COM reasons and you have a restocking fee declared in the listing then you can deduct that fee from any refund.

However, if the buyer opens the case as Item Not As Described (INAD) then you have a different fight on your hands which will be far more difficult to win. If there has been any prior communication (ebay messages) between you and the buyer about her choice of incorrect size then this should help you if she lodges the claim as INAD.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

As long as your listing had full and accurate sizing info included you should be OK.

Because then the return should classify as a Change Of Mind (COM) return. ie buyer remorse.

But... your returns policy also has to state "No Returns accepted".

If it does then you can refuse the return on the grounds of COM.

If you have a "returns accepted" policy then you will have to accept the COM return.

If you do accept the return for COM reasons and you have a restocking fee declared in the listing then you can deduct that fee from any refund.

However, if the buyer opens the case as Item Not As Described (INAD) then you have a different fight on your hands which will be far more difficult to win. If there has been any prior communication (ebay messages) between you and the buyer about her choice of incorrect size then this should help you if she lodges the claim as INAD.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

If the buyer opens a case (any type), and you and the buyer are unable to mutually agree on a resolution, then EBay will step in and close the case.  They will use their own judgement and if they find in favour of the buyer then you will score a defective transaction demerit.  Any appeal to them about their finding is virtually a waste of time.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

If the buyer opens a case (any type), and you and the buyer are unable to mutually agree on a resolution, then EBay will step in and close the case.  They will use their own judgement and if they find in favour of the buyer then you will score a defective transaction demerit.  Any appeal to them about their finding is virtually a waste of time.

There have been several posts in the last month or so that ebay are being much more reasonable about returns and are looking more carefully at what has actualy happened. If you have a no refund policy then I would just tell them sorry but you do not offer returns for change of mind or not fitting items then use the call me back option to speak to ebay and explain what has happened and ask them to check the message where the buyer says it is a not fitting problem so a change of mind and to document that it is not a case that should be found in the buyer's favour.

I allow change of mind returns but it states clearly that it will be a refund of item price only. I have never had a problem when a COM return has been requested. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you so much!

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply