Ratings for shipping charges

ancarswa
Community Member

So I recently started selling on ebay having been a buyer for 10 plus years. I charge exact postage cost for shipping and even state this on my listings.

I mention on the listings that the stamp does not show any cost for registered service,packing materials, box,etc. I have reached over 10 positive feedback now and am disappointed to see that I have a score of 4.7 for shipping charges.

I actually lose money on shipping as I pack items very securely - all are bubbled wrapped(also mentioned in listing), most items are sent are boxed along with packing peanuts to stop the item moving around in the box. I do not charge anything extra for all this, I only charge what I pay at the post office to ship it.

My score was 4.8 last week and with five positive feedbacks today it dropped to 4.7. Why would buyers not give 5 stars for exact post office cost to ship? I have no control over what the post office charges and I've never charged more than what was quoted in the listing. I even offer combined shipping at exact cost.

It seems that buyers are blaming me for Australia Post's prices.

Is it worth contacting ebay about this?

I'm thinking of doing future listings as free shipping with the starting price my lowest price plus shipping. That will mean a higher starting price so I'm not sure if it will put people off.

I'm interested in sellers opinions on what they find works best to maintain 5 Stars for shipping(without taking a loss of course).

Thanks.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Some buyers mark down all of the DSRs and it seems to be a problem that can't be solved. I doubt that a seller with 5.0 for everything can maintain those ratings all of the time. Don't stress yourself out trying to please everyone.

TCT
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

you do state in your:- 

All items are bubble wrapped to protect them at no extra cost.

Perhaps delete that from future listings?

Are you sending them in 500g standard satchel bags? I forget how much AP charges for them these days as i still got stock from years ago. If theyre $7.50 a pop and your charging $8.25, the buyers are a bit harsh with the ratings for only 75c packing and handling.

but i charge 30c to waterproofing the item and cardboard backing for large letters. (perhaps knock your pack n handling charge down a bit? 

Signatures suck.
Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do aside from use free postage and get a few auto-5 stars to bring the rating up. You could maybe try splitting the difference (i.e. decrease shipping charges a little and increase start prices - keep in mind that the FVF is now 9.9%, so you'll have to account for that if you opt to build some of the postage cost into start price). 

Some people have an idea about what postage 'should' cost, rather than what it does, and will rate you based on that, even with  showing actual costs, and sending everything well-packaged etc.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

joz garage,

Australia Post charge $8.25 for the 500g satchel(recently went up from $7.50).  There is no additional charge to the buyers at all.

The bubble wrap is out of my own pocket. I only charge what the post office charge me.

There is NO packing and handling fee. That's why I'm so disappointed.

This is what I mean - I'm losing money on shipping yet still get less than 5 star feedback.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

You might not be much worse off charging for all of the costs involved. You'll never be able to please anyone anyway.

TCT
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Ooops, posted message with wrong account. This is my account I buy with and awesomebuys is my account I sell with.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Never thought about the FVF if I include postage in the opening bid price - thanks for the reminder digital ghost.

I think a compromise might be to split the difference as you say.

Another thing I noticed is that only about 70% of people leave feedback. As a buyer I always leave appropriate feedback, I'm surprised about 30% can't be bothered.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

As ebay say " Feedback is voluntary " and I think the less time people spend worrying about it the better.

TCT
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

joz garage,

Australia Post charge $8.25 for the 500g satchel(recently went up from $7.50).  There is no additional charge to the buyers at all.

The bubble wrap is out of my own pocket. I only charge what the post office charge me.

There is NO packing and handling fee. That's why I'm so disappointed.

This is what I mean - I'm losing money on shipping yet still get less than 5 star feedback.

yes ive been paying $8.25 lately but thats with Tracking! (still waiting for my C&S 500g satchel delivery :tanti:)

mebbe your buyers know about ebay flate rate C&S satchels which by the looks are cheaper then AP standard postage. 

I looked before and standard AP 500g satchels are $7.84 each if you buy 1-10

but i still think your buyers are mighty unfair ratings

An OS buyer gave me a poor postage rating - i only charged for the delivery too, yet it was his fault for not inquiring about a shipping cost before the end of the auction. Doe heads 

Signatures suck.
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

I looked before and standard AP 500g satchels are $7.84 each if you buy 1-9. 10+ @ $7.22 each

but i still think your buyers are mighty unfair with the ratings

Signatures suck.
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply