Refund necessary for size issues?

Hi all,

despite my listings stating that I don't refund for size issues (admittedly this is noted in amongst a lot of "small print") I have had increasing numbers of buyers requesting refunds when they "don't like" items or they don't fit - I do provide measurements.

I am nervous about refusing to refund as I want to provide exemplary service & am a little in fear of negative feedback.

What's the right / best thing to do in the circumstances. I have been refunding of late but the time taken with that process, relisting etc is not really worth it.

Advice from the gurus?

ks

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Personally, I do accept returns for change of mind as I feel it's part of the service for fashion items, where people can get a lot more information from being able to touch / try things on etc; but in saying that, it's completely up to you whether you want to or if it's feasible for your store. 

I think that once you have decided on a return policy, the best thing to do is be relatively firm about it when dealing with customers, with the option to be flexible according to circumstances. You shouldn't be scared to point out your own TOS to customers, who really should be responsible for reading and understanding those terms when they buy. I've had to do it a couple of times, and I usually just keep it quite simple and try to offer some alternative options so that contacting me about whatever issue doesn't feel like a complete waste of time, if you know what I mean. (For example, offer the use of your description and photos if they want to onsell it).

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Depends on what percentage of buyers you're talking about?

I have always been inclined to refund rather then have hassles with someone. I like my customers to be happy, even if that means I have to take the occasional small loss or inconvenience. But then I have an extremely small amount of people needing refunds for any reason.

If you're having lots of customers that arent happy with size, then that would be a different issue and you may need to look at your listings to see if you can make anything clearer.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Hi KS whilst I'm not the guru you requested I do have something to say... Even with all measurements within the listing & all the disclaimers I see in yours, people will still not read all the listing then blame you because the item doesn't fit, or they don't like how it looks on, or want it cheaper. 

I stopped selling clothing some 18 months back when I copped an unwarranted no contact from buyer neg.  Size 4 x XL Chef Pants, ie XXXXL. All measurements were in the listing. The buyer didn't read them. The item was BNWT by a known Hospitality manufacturer & bought for $40 under usual retail price. Still ebay wouldn't remove the neg the customer left, even though he never contacted me (FB to the gist of too small short a rag)

I had a general & clothing refund policy back then that covered change of mind & non fitting purchases for attire. Now I have no refund policy on my collectables & will just take things on a case by case basis, not that (touch wood) I've ever been asked to refund on them. I over describe my items & it's not my fault if the buyer can't or won't read the listing description.

In your case I'd worry that even if you do refund, you may still cop a neg. Or maybe the buyer just wants a discount or a freebie? Online selling has become very difficult for honest sellers. Good Luck to you, whichever course of action you choose!

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

As a mostly buyer I have bought many clothing items on here. Even if a seller doesn't write it on there listing I know unless I am buying a style and brand I know I am taking a chance.
There have been a few times that I have got it wrong so I just resold the item. Yes I lost a little but it's my own fault.
I think that if u let people have refunds they need to pay postage costs to return and u should take postage off the item that it cost u to send it.
When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

I've accept returns on all my clothing items, most of which have measurements, purely because i would prefer a happy buyer and a positive feedback rating than a neg. To me $8 out of pocket for postage is worth it to keep my score. 

Personally, I have never returned a thing on eBay. It's the risk of buying online. Sometimes things are worse than you expect, but more often than not you get an absolute bargain that is much better than you could have expected 🙂 

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

I do understand what u are saying about it's better to be out money then get negatives. Just a shame that's what u need to do
When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

I sell for money. Don't know why others would sell for feedback. You can't buy stock or pay your bills with it.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I sell for money. Don't know why others would sell for feedback. You can't buy stock or pay your bills with it.

I would never want to put people off buying from me purely because of my feedback. Just like I wouldn't buy off someone who writes irrational rude replies to feedback left for them. 

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

I feel Davewil doesn't really sell for money or he would appreciate the fact that feedback is the golden pathway to our bread and butter.  

Bad feedback = hesitant customers.  Lower sales.  Bad Feedback also = possible selling restrictions regardless of how 'fair' it is. 

So, I think it is right to be afraid of negative feedback.   It will be a weight of your mind to have the customer just return and do a straight refund, rather than wait for 60 days to pass in fear of her leaving a neg or low DSR's (which are as bad as each other in ebay's eyes). 

It isn't fair, and it isn't normal for most businesses - a B & M store doesn't have the same issues that an ebay sellers faces for example - but it is normal for ebay

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply