Registered Post - wanting to keep things simple

dabbleroz
Community Member

I am looking into using Australia Post prepaid Registered Post envelopes for domestic use (B4 size can accommodate up to 500g/20mm thickness and at $6.70 seems reasonable as it includes $100 cover).

The envelope size is overkill for small items though - but the smaller prepaid envelopes only allow 5mm thickness which is no good for me. If I use my own envelope but with Registered Post will it involve 'paperwork' or just a sticker from PO and a receipt when it it purchased/scanned? Thankyou!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Just a registered sticker will be placed on the envelope plus the stamps

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I use the rego post stickers. No paper work ...peel - stick - post (Get scanned over the counter is best otherwise just drop in the red box ....BUT they dont always get scanned that way) . Buy in a box of 50 works out a LOT cheaper. Dont forget to use the normal postage stamps also.... rego post does NOT cover postage cost.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

You can often buy a smaller number of stickers on ebay without having to buy a whole box of 50. If you buy them when you've got a voucher from ebay they can be pretty good value.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Just remember to keep actual costs in mind, if your packages will often exceed 125g in weight - the B4 envelope would be better value in many cases.

If you put a registered sticker on your own envelope, non priority postage will be:

Up to 125g - $2.00

126 - 250g - $3.00

251 - 500g - $5.00

Plus the cost of the registered label, which is $4.00 over the counter, or $3.30 if bought in a box of 50. That would make a 250g+ letter cost $9.00 (or $9.50 priority). 

I personally stick to padded envelopes and I have a box of registered labels to use if I need to, but will usually use a parcel for packages weighing over 250g  and valued under about $70 (I'll use registered if I definitely want signature on delivery and the insurance, though, as to add those features to a <500g parcel makes it over $11.00).

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

If they are big enough, a C5 prepaid is $2.55 in singles and is good for 500g. A C4 is $4.45. AND you don't have to buy envelopes.

They are what I use for my large letters. Saves mucking around with stuff that's on the margins. One size fits all. Up to 500g, anyway.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I know, but I want to use either padded bags or rigid mailers to protect my stuff and help ensure it doesn't go through the letter sorting machines (not all of my items are fragile, but some are bendy and I want to keep them straight, some are much better presented in boxes, and others are kept under 2cm by not being given the chance to bunch up in a flexible envelope), so I don't really feel it's worth me personally keeping another postage / packaging option on hand for the once every so often I have an item that can be put in one.

Plus paper envelopes aren't supposed to contain non-flexible things, and if memory serves the pre-paids are paper envelopes?  

I'll follow these AP guidelines, and use priority on them all. I / we (and by we I mean myself and my buyers), do pay a bit more, but overall I think it's worth it (as much as I distrust AP, and think a lot of their prices are pure gouging, I also know their MO and if a little extra here and there means letter prices don't see another dramatic increase so soon after the last one, then all the better. I guess I see it as kinda paying protection money, even though there's the ever present threat they'll send someone 'round to "convince" me why I need protection, and while I'm lamenting my kneecaps, they jack up the price cause now they have to protect me from the goons they sent in the first place....or something like that, it sounded like a better analogy when I started, and then just went off somewhere and I couldn't stop it Smiley LOL ).

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Mine are books.

I was just making the point that there are further options to those you mentioned, which can be cheaper than the stamp options.

I have no knees left, so I should be safe. Kneecapping wouldn't make any noticable difference to the way I 'walk'.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for the responses. I think the prepaids (registered and non) are going to be the most practical and economical for me.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply