S.O.D or insurance

My son had to post an item today

He was told that the small parcel he sent either had to have signature on delivery or insurance.

As he was unsure he went for the cheaper option S.O.D.

I feel that he was taken advantage of by the P.O as it has tracking and didnt require S.O.D or insurance but the lady told him he had to have one or the other.

What can I do about it? 

Who do I complain to about this? 

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

S.O.D or insurance

Seems odd, usually the PO staff I've come across take more of a "would you like fries with that?" approach to optional extras (and they are optional extras). Actually, I suspect they're obliged to attempt to upsell, but the staff at my PO don't seem to expect most people to take it up and they more do an unenthusiastic "I don't reckon you want fries with that.....?" Smiley LOL

The only justification for a PO staff member to say someone "needs" one or the other is if the customer has requested some form of assurance regarding safe delivery and/or compensation. If your son made no mention of requiring it, he shouldn't have been told he needed anything else, and he certainly shouldn't have been given the impression one or the other was mandatory (if no specific delivery requirements were stated). 

BTW, you can purchase insurance for up to $300 value without buying SOD @1.50 per $100, or part thereof. 

In regards to who to complain to, I guess I'd start with contacting AP's main customer service line. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

S.O.D or insurance

Is SOD required for insurance now/still? I have been adding a $1.50 insurance fee to orders for some time now. I would rather have something insured than leave it up to payapal to decide who is in the wrong if the worst happens!!

From memory SOD comes with $50 insurance anyway.

As far as I am concered it is the responsability of the buyer to choose and pay for the delivery service anyway.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

S.O.D or insurance

Dylan, SOD does not come with $50 insurance.

I had a SOD parcel go missing 2 weeks ago and had to threaten going to the Postal Ombudsman before AP agreed to a 'discretionary payment' of $50.

I then asked exactly what I am paying for by buying SOD - this is the reply I received :

" The signature on delivery service means that the item will not be safe dropped after an attempted delivery, with no answer, but will be carded for collection. This service does not cover you for a damaged or non delivered parcel. The parcel would have a normal parcel post tracking number, however, the signature on delivery provides a different tracking number that over rides the initial one.

Extra cover is available at $1.50 per $100 of cover, or part thereof. When the parcel services changed last year in April, a customer would have to use the signature on delivery service to add the extra cover option to cover for any amount on top of the postage. Now, a signature on delivery is not required in order to use the extra cover service for items up to $300.00. This does not mean that your item is covered if it is under $300.00. You are still required to pay for the service in order to cover your item for any value. "

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply