Seller asking for more postage money

Hi, I've just got an interesting message from a NSW seller. I bought a very small item from them and the postage asked and paid for was $7.20. Now the seller wants another $7.00 because Tasmania is a remote place and it costs extra to post there. This is not true. It costa no more to post into Hobart than into any other city in Australia. This request just left me speechless. BB

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

No, just pay for your item with the original postage. They are not permitted to ask for more money. Pay for your item via Paypal and if it doesn't arrive in say 7 working days then file a claim with ebay.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

that's outrageous.. wonder if the seller is stupid, or just assumes Tasmanian's are!

Am interested to hear what you reply, and then what their comeback is..

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@bernh_billi wrote:

Now the seller wants another $7.00 because Tasmania is a remote place and it costs extra to post there. This is not true. It costa no more to post into Hobart than into any other city in Australia. 

That's true if the item weighs under 500gm, but different rates are charged by distance if it weighs over (presuming a flat rate product can't be used, like a satchel).

That's largely irrelevant anyway, though, as HBH is correct - it is against policy to try and charge more after the sale (for the same service[s] that were offered in the listing). 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

You are right,post to Tas is same as posting in Aus,they may be confusing it with N.Z.

Is it a newish seller?

Seller cannot charge more than quoted in the listing.They better be checking with A.Post or cancelling the transaction & if they do they get a bonus defect & you are able to leave feedback.

& that my friend, is how a dumb/uninformed seller ends up with annoyed buyers who give them a red donut

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

yes I've already paid for the item and the original postage as in the listing , via paypal.  But the seller is saying if I don't want to pay the extra that I can cancel the sale.  All so against ebay policy.  Strange that they don't read the rules.  I really wanted this item and now it seems they won't be posting it.    

BB

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Would the item weigh under 500gms? If so, the seller needs to lift their game and post it for $7.20. If they have made a mistake and the postage is going to cost more than that, they should cover the extra.

The seller will request you agree to a cancellation if that is the way they are going to go now. If you don't want to agree, don't. If you do agree make sure they don't select a reason that shows the buyer is the one that wants to pull out.. e.g. the buyer made a mistake or buyer changed their mind.

If the cancellation is made for a reason such as seller no longer wants to send the item, the seller will get a defect, and it will affect their performance standards, depending on how many defects they have/get.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

It's a very small item, probably only weighs 100 -200g, although could break if not properly protected.  I myself have safely sent larger more fragile items in satchels or padded bags,

BB

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

The seller is full of it.

Just tell the seller nicely it is against ebay policy to charge extra after the sale. Ask him/her to please send your goods or you will file a complaint with ebay.

That's about all you can really do. If they don't send it do not agree to any cancellation. When you file an item not received complaint with ebay she will cop a defect on her account and will also have to wear the fees associated with the sale. You can then leave appropriate feedback once you get your refund.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Dear Seller

I am very sorry if you underestimated the postage cost however ebay policy is that unless I ask for a different postal service than is offered you cannot ask for more postage money after the item is purchased. I have paid what I should, and what I agreed to and will not be paying any more. If I do not receive my item within a reasonable time frame I will have no option but to open an item not received dispute. I will not agree to a mutual cancellation as I most certainly want the item at the agreed price.

Yours etc

Once you send that direct them to this discussion so they can see that the general consensus is that they are completely in the wrong.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply