Selling expensive items

Just wondering about how other sellers go about selling expensive items? What is the best way to safeguard yourself when you do sell something in the $1000's. My average sales are possibly around $2-300 with some up to $1000.

With the rules around having to have a "safe payment method" how do others protect themselves selling something for say $4000+?

I have a few things I am considering selling that are around the above figure, but with things as they are on eBay heavily weighted in favour of buyers, what are some ways that other sellers can suggest to protect yourself from scammers, chargebacks etc...?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Selling expensive items

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

No matter how many precautions you take with tracking, insurance, signature on delivery etc you can never fully protect yourself against a chargeback if a buyer wants to be dishonest.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Selling expensive items

Pick up only with cash only is one option

post with insurance, and "Person to Person" , and request a copy of the signed receipt (costs a $1 or $2) that way ONLY the addresee can sign for it, which means if they did try a chargeback you would have proof that it was received by the addressee.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Selling expensive items

are these 'things' big? do they need 'pickup' or can they be posted?

maybe direct deposit payments? i really don't know if they can get those back post sale.

i do know that ebay says buyers are on their own with direct deposits.

if its a 'pickup' then demand cash.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Selling expensive items

@justkidzbiz wrote:

Pick up only with cash only is one option

post with insurance, and "Person to Person" , and request a copy of the signed receipt (costs a $1 or $2) that way ONLY the addresee can sign for it, which means if they did try a chargeback you would have proof that it was received by the addressee.

You need to research MOTO or card not present transactions

To contest certain chargebacks (unauthorized use) the item needs to be delivered to the billing address attached to the

credit card.

When you add a credit card to paypal or other online payment gateways they always need to know the billing address

attached to the card. This is because they are supplying a service rather than a tangible item.

If you have your own merchant garteway facilities you can specify that items bought via credit card must be delivered to

the billing address attached to the credit card rather than a third party. This adds another security layer to a MOTO credit card transaction.

You can also request the security number on the rear of the card.

You cannot mandate any of these extra security layers however if you use paypal as a credit card gateway.

Some tips from Westpac below

https://www.westpac.com.au/docs/pdf/bb/Merchant_Fraud_Brochure.pdf

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Selling expensive items

Merchant Business Solutions

Protect your business against Internet and MOTO fraud

Merchants can minimise the possibility of fraudulent purchases and chargebacks from Internet and MOTO transactions by implementing the following measures:

• Request the purchaser to provide the CVV2 (Visa) or CVC2 (MasterCard) three digit
number located on the signature panel of the credit card. If the purchaser is not in
possession of the card, it is unlikely they will know this number.

• Request the name of the cardholder’s bank. Fraudsters who have compromised account
details will not have this information. If the purchaser hesitates in advising the name of
their bank, caution should be exercised;

• Request the purchaser to provide a fax copy of their driver’s licence;

• Ensure the customer’s billing address and delivery address is consistent;

• Check the telephone book to verify address and phone numbers provided;

• Never forward goods to a Post Office Box;

• Obtain a signed receipt from the cardholder when the goods are delivered;

• In the case of orders for a large number of different goods, telephone the cardholder
after the order is placed to confirm the order. Also, have the purchaser read back all
details of the order. Frequently, where an order is fraudulent, the purchaser will be
unable to confirm these details, as they were ordering at random, with no record of
what they ordered;

• Be suspicious where multiple cards are used for a single purchase;

• Don’t continue to attempt authorisation after receiving a decline;

• Exercise particular caution in relation to overseas orders. Large orders should in all
cases be held back for shipping while the above enquiries are made into the legitimacy
of the purchaser. Merchants should not ship goods until satisfied that the purchase is
legitimate.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Selling expensive items

While you're thinking about it...... have a think why ebay does not mandate that a "safer" mode of payment  be

added for a vehicle sale.

You can advertise vehicles as cash on pick up no exceptions and no paypal

Generally the most expensive trades on ebay are vehicles if Ebay and Paypal really had the interests of buyers at heart

they would mandate that a "safer" MODE of payment be included in the listing.

Hmm I wonder why???? Man Tongue

Spoiler

Spoiler
Man Tongue

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Selling expensive items

Thanks for the suggestions people! Reinforced my belief that the safest way is to just have pick up and demand cash. Not ideal, but the only way I could feel secure selling something that valuable.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply