Selling used and new gas appliances

There are several gas heaters for sale on Ebay, which may be illegal to sell.  The Department of fair Trading has answered a letter from me regarding this problem.

Withe regards to your email enquiry Fair Trading can advise the following:

Gas appliances are required to be certified for sale, and therefore must have a certification label attached. With 2nd hand appliances, this still remains the same in that they must be certified and should have the appropriate certification label affixed to the appliance.   A a seller, they must ensure that they appliance shows some form or certification for it to be sold either new or used.   I hope this assist. Should you require further information please contact Fair Trading or consult our website.   Regards

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

This message should be sent to ebay trust and safety.

If this is the case then all sellers need to show it meets the requirements in their listings.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

It should be taken up by Ebay, but Ebay feels that by saying that the responsibility of any sale is on the seller, they are exempt from any legal reaction.

Of course, this does not exempt them from moral responsibility if someone sells an appliance that explodes and destroys a family in their living room.

There are many  problems with second hand gas appliances.  the Filaments may be 'burnt out' and ready to crumble.  This will cause a flare up of gas fed flame.    If the  appliance has been stored for some time, wasps will make nests in the gas lines and the gas jets will be obstructed, and my suddenly open to create a flash that will burn any leaked gas, which can be close to an explosion.  Gas bottles do not explode, they will release gas through the safety valve, and although the sound adn sight is dramatic, an explosion does not normally occur.  Faulty gas appliances usually leak excess gas into an enclosed area until it is ignited  by a spark source, and then you have the deadly explosion.

I would purchase a gas appliance from Ebay IF: the inspection certificate was provided by a registered gas fitter, and I would expect to pay, via the price offered on Ebay to cover that inspection.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply