Sent to Wrong Country

I recently purchased an item from a seller in the United Kingdom. I live in Australia, and provided the correct delivery address.

However, upon tracking the item, I have discovered that it is being delivered to an address of the same name, but in the Republic of Ireland. I have contacted the seller, provided a screenshot of the delivery address I provided (which is in Australia), as well as a screenshot of the tracking which shows it's being delivered to Ireland. I have yet to hear back from the seller.

I paid for the item and international shipping. Just wondering if anyone has any advice how I might proceed further, or even any experience with something like this?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sent to Wrong Country

If the seller doesn't replace or refund the item then open a case for "item not recieved" with eBay's "money back guarantee"

Note. You only have until 30 days after the ETA of the item to open a case.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Sent to Wrong Country

I could understand if it went to Austria............but Ireland ???

I would want a refund so the deadline doesn't expire waiting for another to arrive and doesn't.

Then rebuying is a better option.

(Unless you open a case immediately but not very fair on the seller to not let them rectify a possible genuine error)

(waves to the Irish sandgroper) Smiley Happy

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Sent to Wrong Country

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

(waves to the Irish sandgroper) Smiley Happy

"Waves back to ya Kopes"        original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Sent to Wrong Country

There are a few ways this can happen, but without a reply from the seller, it's hard to know what's going on or what happened.

For example, many online postage label systems will auto-fill addresses based on a few key characters / words (eg if I type in 21 Made-up s..... into Aus Post's system, up pops all addresses that match that and I can click on one from the options to fill in the rest - usually you have to select the destination country first, and it will only show addresses within that country. It may be they have UK as the default destination and they got a match but didn't check all the other details closely enough).

Another option is that the package is just being routed through Ireland - not sure how likely this is, since you said that it's showing the delivery destination as Ireland, but it's quite common for economy services to send parcels in bulk to other countries, and then send the individual parcels out from there. eg I ship through DHL for my international parcels, and depending on where it's going, the packages are sent to either New Zealand, or Germany first. Packages to the US go through NZ, and the tracking numbers have an NZ suffix instead of an AU one. I can't imagine postage or logistics being any cheaper / better from Ireland, but I would have thought that about AU-NZ as well, so who knows. 

This obviously doesn't change what happened, or what needs to happen, but if the seller did it unintentionally, hopefully they will help quickly resolve it once they are notified, and I thought I'd throw out the second possibility in case there's any indication the package will be sent to Australia from Ireland. 

Edited to add: I forgot to ask - was this a purchase where the GSP was being used? 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Sent to Wrong Country

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your help and advice, it is thoroughly appreciated!

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, the item is not part of ebay's Global Shipping Program (as the item is being sent from the U.K., and only items sent from the U.S. are apparently eligible? https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/global-shipping-program?id...).

Also, I just double checked the tracking now, and the Irish Mail Service have already tried to deliver it to the residential Irish address, so alas, it is not just being rerouted through ireland.

In regards to lodging a "did not receive" claim, the estimated delivery date for my item was between January 6th, and January 30th. Does that mean I will have to wait until January 31st to lodge that claim?

Cannot thank you all enough 🙂

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Sent to Wrong Country

@danielcarrigy26 wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your help and advice, it is thoroughly appreciated!

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, the item is not part of ebay's Global Shipping Program (as the item is being sent from the U.K., and only items sent from the U.S. are apparently eligible? https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/global-shipping-program?id...).

Also, I just double checked the tracking now, and the Irish Mail Service have already tried to deliver it to the residential Irish address, so alas, it is not just being rerouted through ireland.

In regards to lodging a "did not receive" claim, the estimated delivery date for my item was between January 6th, and January 30th. Does that mean I will have to wait until January 31st to lodge that claim?

Cannot thank you all enough 🙂

The GSP operates from the UK as well as the USA. However if the tracking number is a Royal Mail ojne, the GSP won't have been used.

It is definitely not unfortunate if it hasn't been used. Getting redress through the GSP is more complicated than dealing with the seller directly.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Sent to Wrong Country

Does that mean I will have to wait until January 31st to lodge that claim?

No, in ebay you have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date so that is the deadline to opening a case, after that you cannot open one in eBay.

But wait to see what the seller is prepared to do if the GSP wasn't used.

And as Dave said, the GSP operates out of USA and UK.

image host
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Sent to Wrong Country

As far as I know, an INR can't be opened until the estimate has passed. Otherwise people would be opening them the next day to get a refund after it's been posted. Of course, if things have changed and this is no longer the case, I'm always happy be corrected.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply