Shipping freight shutdown..

Essential frieght might be the onli frieght allowed to ship and be delivered.

NSW, TAS, SA, VIC borders and business shutdown locked up.

How do u receive goods deliveries to ur business and then how do u ship,

will Aus post shops be open?? Will thei even deliver as non essential.??

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Sorting and storage of non-essential packages or freight would turn into a logistacal nightmare, and who would be policing it? How will anyone know if it is non-essential as local packages (assuming Auspost) is not labelled. 

I would consider the items I need for my business to get ready for 'normality' eventually to be essental to getting my business running again later, but others would not.

Sounds difficult. Sounds like many parcels will go missing if they are already sent.

Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

At the moment Australia Post and StarTrack are operating normally but with some restrictions on dlivery methods.

No signatures, all parcels have Authority To Leave and will be dropped at the door.

That was the situation on Friday night and no change so far.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

was watching listening to the QLD shutdown and she was skethcy on what frieght would be moving across the borders.

I just had a TNT shipment come across monday night. Hasnt been delivered to us in wollongong tho,

its in a sydney depot somewhere. See wednesday if delivers to us.

But now its important as now all borders are closed to people non essentials and the

premiers etc have all been avoiding the full answer on frieght. They always seem to mention

essential frieght in their press releases etc.

Anyone have anything right now about to cross a border?

I already stopped shipments from the US and the whole of Europe as they are

in turmoil with 60km long truck jams at every border.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@toysandthings12 wrote:

Anyone have anything right now about to cross a border?

Yeah - something currently in Melbourne on the way here in SA, only left this morning though. I also had a delivery from TNT on Monday, but that's a bit before all the latest developmements, SA border shutdown etc (freight should be excepted anyway). 

With Australia Post currently operating as normal (with a few procedural changes, some delays, etc, and the withdrawl of the off-peak pick-up for $1 option), I expect most other freight companies will be too, until they are told they can't and / or that their services are limited (eg to medical supplies, care packages etc). 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Airfreight and freight in general from what I have read is on the increase. If freight slowed down or stopped supermarkets would be emptier than what you see now.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I'm in Tas. and had two large parcels arrive yesterday. One from SA mailed Friday Express post, the other from NSW.  OTOH I am seeing an unexpected absence of new feedback considering I mailed out almost a record number of parcels last Monday. My hunch is that's coincidence, or maybe things are taking just a little longer.

Long term, I don't know, though. Our local PO is privately run and has a staff of five. If one of them tests positive, they all go into quarantine. Can OzPost bus in a whole new workforce into what is essentially a private business? Ditto the delivery is another private tender driving around in an old clunker. And I don't know what happens when someone tests positive in a mail sorting centre.  All this will become clear I suppose.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@lupercal wrote:

Long term, I don't know, though. Our local PO is privately run and has a staff of five. If one of them tests positive, they all go into quarantine. Can OzPost bus in a whole new workforce into what is essentially a private business? Ditto the delivery is another private tender driving around in an old clunker. And I don't know what happens when someone tests positive in a mail sorting centre.  All this will become clear I suppose.

When a privately run Post Office is unable to provide staff the main PO is duty bound to keep the PO open so yes, they can take over the business which is essentially a franchise.

The delivery drivers are also franchisees....if they don't/can't work they will be replaced untill they return to work.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I'm waiting on a parcel posted in Chullora on the 16th coming to Melbourne.  According to tracking it has not moved : 

23 Mar 2020 2:10am Shipping information approved by Australia Post

21 Mar 2020 10:41am Shipping information received by Australia Post   

16 Mar 2020 12:40pm Tracking number provided

I have to wonder how many sellers are going to have INR cases opened and get bad feedback from buyers because AP is not processing mail as it should.  Mine, 9 days so far still sitting in Chullora!!

And how many sellers are going to offer to send replacement items to avoid INR's, only to have the original purchase turn up whenever.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

(I did post this, but it isn't showing so trying again)

I'm waiting on a parcel posted in Chullora on the 16th coming to Melbourne.  According to tracking it has not moved.

16th, 12.40pm Tracking number provided

21st, 10.41am Shipping information received by Australia Post

23rd, 2.10am Shipping information approved by Australia Post

I have to wonder how many sellers are going to have INR cases opened and bad feedback from buyers because Aust Post is not processing mail as it should.  Mine, 9 days so far sitting at Chullora.

And how many sellers are going to send replacement items to avoid INR's, only to have the original purchase turn up whenever.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply