Shipping from USA to Australia.

I sell and ship my items from US to Australia and was wondering if there is any postal service better then another

that does better job within the Australia. I noticed that there is a difference in delivery times from USPS to UPS

and FEDEX but the times are so hectic that one can't make logical conclussion.

I want to set and stick to one shipping option. Anyone has experience who does best job for international

deliveries across the board?

Thanks a million.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As far as I know, anything shipped with USPS is handled by Australia Post once it arrives here, and UPS / Fedex are couriers that handle the shipments from point A to B. That's speaking exclusively as a buyer, with limited experience with UPS services, and none with Fedex (I sometimes get stock orders from a wholesaler shipped via UPS, and they tend to be 4-5 business day deliveries from interntaional locations, they may have other, slower / less expensive options, I haven't really looked into it, but standard postage via USPS usually takes 2-3 weeks, but sometimes up to 6).

If an article is handled by Australia Post when it arrives here, it can be delivered to any Australian address. If it is handled by Fedex / UPS, it can't be delivered to any Australian address, which affects those with PO boxes or who live in remote locations (of which there are many in Oz).

I hope that helps. 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I was in the habit of buying a large amount of items from the United States until the GSP was introduced. I still buy if the seller is using USPS. Their first class international service now has tracking that is very comprehensive. I find shipping times to be good and charges to be fairly reasonable.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I think if you are going to sell here you need to rethink your postage. I live semi rural so I don't get deliveries from those courier and the nearest depots are no where near me which means I would have to make a special trip to go and pick them up. What is wrong with USPS
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have to say that your postage costs are all over the place.   Some of your items are showing Free Post to Australia, other items are being sent through the GSP and are charging in excess of $50 to ship a similar item.  May I suggest that you log into ebay Australia and have a look at your listings and you can see for yourself what we see as far as your postage goes.

If you read the Australian boards you will find that the GSP is the most hated service of all time and from personal experience I can assure you that it is the slowest, most expensive service of all time.

Courier services such as DHL, FedEx and in particular UPS are very expensive and once the items are in Australia there can be problems with delivery as couriers here are unable to deliver to Post Office Boxes, Postal Lockers and many rural areas.  Believe me, rural buyers are quite large users of ebay so it is a pity to cut out a large chunk of your customer base.

As far as delivery goes once the items are in Australia I don't think you can beat Australia Post, which means using USPS from the USA.  While the most expensive services such as Priority and Express post are supposed to be the best they can be vastly overpriced for the service provided.  In over 30 years of using the USPS (nothing to do with ebay until the last 9 years) I have found that the USPS First Class International is by far the best bet and cheapest although it can be a bit slow.  Now that you can add the e-DELCON tracking it is also seller friendly.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Yeah what Lyndal said lol..........also have to agree that your postage costs are all over the place.

I buy a lot from the US and I rarely use a Seller who uses the GSP but always buy from Sellers using USPS directly.

๐Ÿ™‚

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply