Shipping with Smartsend vs Packsend, oh yes there is a difference

Shortstory first:

smartsend.com.au, efficient, organised. usually top notch, if there's a problem it's sorted instantly and efficiently.

packsend.com.au, if you're lucky then it's OK, if you're not it's a nightmare.

I've used both and they seem similar on the surface, similar web booking and similar prices. They both sub contract and this is where the problems happen. From my experience packsend sub out to star track who in my limited experience have zero communication skill with you or other parts of their own team. Packsend also like to fob off any problems onto their subcontractors instead of taking responsibility. This causes you to end up talking to various operators from both companies with no one communicating to any one else. In short it's a nightmare. My final straw for them was a delivery where the driver came four times to deliver over a period of 6 days, even though there was someone home the entire time. Even though every other delivery driver ever beeps his horn, this guy will not. Even though there's a note on the gate saying it's unlocked, he won't open it and instead affixes a card to the gate and silently drives away, In the end I had to set up a video camera to monitor the driveway. Speaking of which you should check out manything.com where your smartphone becomes a security camera that you can monitor online.

Smartsend on the other hand, sort every problem (if there is one) out from a single place. Mistake that you've made? No problem it's fixed before you know it. Communcation, even online is quick and efficient. They get the job done and they know what is going on instead of telling you that you need to talk so someone else.

To sum up: Smartsend good, Packsend bad.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Thanks for this piece of information. I did not know that Smart Send gave a 10%discount to eBay users. Their prices are good as well. Heaps cheaper than Australia Post and good delivery times.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The only similarity between the two companies is that they send your goods by courier.

Smartsend is a privately owned company that acts as a courier broker and chooses the courier company on your behalf.  They would have accounts with numerous companies and choose the one that is most appropriate for your consignment.  The advantage in this is that most of the big courier companies will not deal with one off or very small volume senders.  The volume of packages gives them cheaper rates that are then passed on to the individual customers.

Pack and Send on the other hand is not a broker.....they have an account with StarTrack and get good rates because of the volume of freight that they send.  They are customers of StarTrack not subcontractors. 

Pack and Send will also pack your goods (at a cost) if required.  I would not recommend that though....I have seen the results of some of the packing done by P&S.....some of it is so bad that the couriers refuse to take it.

If a customer has a problem they should be contacting the company they are dealing with not the actual courier company that is transporting the goods.....they should be talking to Smartsend or Pack and Send.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I see. Thanks for that info, it all makes sense now I understand why PackSend are so **bleep**.

So for anyone who comes across this thread in the future, Smartsend is the way to go. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

You could also investigate Temando.   They are also courier brokers and have quite a good reputation in the industry.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

What a load garbage. SMARTSEND OFFER THE WORST CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE. Don't be fooled by fake reviews

Look at the other threads on this community - they have an appalling reputation. You will loose customers and your rating will be refined if you put your trust in them.

If they are so good, why is there no phone number on their website. Why is it impossible to find out who owns the company? Why is the only address listed for them belong to an accountant? Why are they hiding? Why are they not accoubtable? Anyone is better than them. Pack n Send are way better. TNT leaves them for dead. Australia Post runs rings around. The people who run this company should be ashamed of themselves

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I'm sure the OP has sorted out their issues in the last SEVEN MONTHS. Given they haven't come back.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

What is it with you and smartsend.....are you a shareholder?

You will be happy to know I have used smartsend from time to time, but because I ship larger items over 40kg regularly I use couriers and freight who are an online agent for all the big transport companies.  But they are not perfect by any means of the imagination.  

Out of 100+ emails I think I have had a response twice!  I live O/S 9 months of the year so I avoid phoning!  Every now and then their computer software goes luney.  And the rates quoted for places a bit off the beaten track are murder!  A recent customer of mine had to get delivery to a friend's house in Dubbo as he lived in a village not far away from Dubbo but the price was 2.5 times more!

Early last year couriers and freight stung me $76 for an air compressor delivered by TNT that had been allegedly re-weighed and measured and claimed to be 3 times heavier and the crate 2.5 times as large....which it wasn't, but they robbed my Visa anyway without raising the matter with me.  The fact that prior to that I had shipped 11 of the same air compressors without a problem and since have shipped 20 more didn't really make much difference when I complained to couriers and freight and then TNT. Unfortunately I am still using TNT and couriers and freight as they are usually the cheapest but would give them the flick in a heartbeat if there was another company to use.

As for pack&send.........Ha Ha Ha, your joking right?

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply