Should I post to Nigeria?

I have sold an item worth $120 to a buyer from Nigeria and am worried it may be some sort of a scam buyer.

Should I go ahead and post in good faith, considering if the buyer files a complaint , eBay will take the side of the buyer and issue a refund. I always post signature on delivery  with tracking.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would not risk it personally.....it is not just the problems that may be caused with ebay, but I always think there may be more sinister motives such as getting you name and address and email address.   Too many scams originate from Nigeria.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Hell no! And don't believe them if they've said they've paid. I would also consider blocking Nigeria because while you do get the odd genuine person, if they are buying stuff on eBay, it's generally a scam. Don't do it. 

If they haven't paid, sit tight for 4 days and open an unpaid item dispute. Then close it 4 days later. Doing that will ensure they can't leave you feedback. Then block them!

Can I assume the buyer has 0 feedback?

Edit: You'd also be taking a huge hit with postage too. $41 with SOD for a parcel to go to Nigeria. Way more than your standard $18.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Just don't.
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

JMO but the items you're selling aren't what a 'legit' Nigerian scammer would buy lol Normally they'd go for expensive devices/phones etc not wedding items etc

Edited as silly me didn't see it was the Swatch watch-reallly not convinced they're a Nigerian scammer though.

Have they sent any weird messages or have they paid normally via Paypal ?

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

If it doesn't worry you to lose that money, then send it.

Otherwise don't and I would exclude posting to Nigeria and other African countries in your listings.

While you are at it, I have had problems with Italy, Turkey, Spain, India and South America. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

If you don't want to post to Nigeria, then why do you offer it in your listings?

Perhaps you should rethink you entire postage scenario - remove Africa, South America, most of Asia, most of the Middle East, most of Southern Europe and Canada. Having a smaller group of more reliable countries with decent postage systems is way better than offering global postage to some very risky places.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

The other thing to add is that even if you post with tracking and signature, there are some countries where the tracking just stops and you cannot get the information. Scammers rely on this too in order to file against non-delivery.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I wouldn't post it until they promise to transfer $20m in secret government funds to your bank account if you give them the details.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

The nice Nigerian prince I have been in email correspondence with offered just that. He will transfer the money any day now, right after I send him some money for claim my $20m.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply