Should Phony Bidding be Outlawed

Hi

Here I pose the question - Should Phony Bidding Be Outlawed on Auction Items?

This thread might pose for an argument, but be honest in answering.

I'm sick of them! I beleive Phony Bidders should be charged with Fraudulent Behaviour and their accounts Terminated.

Sick of them I tell you!!!!!!

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hi,I find this very interesting & would like to explore it in more detail,but what do you mean by phony bidding? Are you by any chance mistaking all the small incremental bids by new/inexperienced bidders(like myself!!!) for phony bids? Have noticed some classic examples just recently!!! Cheers!

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Real Example:

I found an item i needed, a spa cover. I waited for the auction time to reach 2 minutes prior to finishing. At this point no-one has bid on the item. As soon as i place a bid a misterious bidder starts to bid.

And it starts, i place 50 dollar bids, they place 50 dollar bids, after i place three bids i started becoming suspecious of the other bidder, so i thought to myself, i know how much this item retails for, so i place a bid of 100 dollars only to be matched again by the bidder. At this point i stop bidding, sure enough they won the bid.

Fours days later the exact same seller relisted the exact same item again at the exact same start price.

These sort of people are only fooling themselves.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Could the seller have more than one spa cover for sale?

Perhaps the other bidder was doing the same as you?

Have you considered they could be using a snipe service?

Why not bid the maximun you are prepared to pay & see what happens? Works for me! Far better to set your own price on an auction item rather than worry about others!!! Cheers!

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It might help the discussion of you get the terms right....what you are talking about is called shill bidding and more often than not there is no foundation for your suspicions.

Can you post the title of the item you have mentioned so experienced members can have a look.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It might help the discussion of you get the terms right....what you are talking about is called shill bidding and more often than not there is no foundation for your suspicions.

Can you post the title of the item you have mentioned so experienced members can have a look.

That's no longer allowed as it falls under their naming and shaming policy.Angry head bang.gif

The other way is to go through a sniping service,(which will bid for you in the last few seconds of the auction).

Gixen is one that works well with eBay.

That way you just put your maximum bid into it and it will bid in the last few seconds and a shiller can't trump your

bid.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

You have to be joking Tazz.  How are we supposed to help members if we have no idea what they are talking about?

We will just be talking through our hats without giving any real advice at all.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

How are we supposed to help members if we have no idea what they are talking about?

We will just be talking through our hats without giving any real advice at all.

Some might say that some do that anyway.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Is it really necessary to make light of a serious subject?

I expected better from you thecatspjs.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Theres a bit of advice on these boards that I have seen that is pretty poor. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply